Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JesC

Skyvector has new FAA Digital Charts

Today's Flying Mag E-News reported on the FAA's new digital charts, highlighted at Sun 'n Fun by ForeFlight last week. VFR sectionals are no longer scanned charts but new digitally created charts; resulting in much crisper, clearer data. The IFR charts are also being upgraded and the best part is that the geo-referencing is much more accurate. You can see the results at skyvector.com.

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v4.5/v5.2 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Is that what it was? I thought they turned the brightness up on their Page...

They really look great!

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

They look amazing.  I hope that Sky charts pro switches overs as well. 

That's what I actually use while flying.

I just made a short flight in the Portland area and out of curiousity brought up BlueSky Scenery"s Moving Map (BSSMM). It certainly appears that this utility is taking advantage of the new data as well; although, I didn't find any verification on their website.

Edit: After looking around at other areas this doesn't seem to be the case. Other areas appear to still be scanned paper charts. Sure would be nice to see them implement the digital charts, though.

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v4.5/v5.2 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

50%
    $12,660.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now