Sign in to follow this  
ShaiGenis

Looking for a graphics card

Let me start off by suggesting that I am new to the forums. If I have placed this topic in the wrong section, I apologize, and ask for directions.

Leaving that aside, I'll straight away explain that I have perused the internet for quite a while now, and after reading through many articles about this, I do not want to read another overclocking, new processor, new fan, new power supply, new house, new car type of comment. :wacko:  I would like to know simply about a graphics card that will accommodate my needs for good, not great, but good, performance. I fly for Virtual Air Canada and with that, I fly the Aerosoft Airbus X Extended. This bird is wonderful in its handling, systems, and overall beautiful design. From its system requirements, the AEX needs a graphics card with 512MB of memory. From what I understand, this refers to the "dedicated video RAM." My simple Intel HD Graphics 2000 has but 64MB of memory. The AEX still flies, but my graphics are tuned down to allow for a suitable frame rate.

From what I understand, if I had a 1GB card, this means there would not only be enough space for the AEX, but for FSX as well, and other addons which I might choose to buy at a later date.

Having more than enough video RAM would allow for better performance, thus better frame rates. Are there any graphics cards that you guys would recommend taking a look at? I am looking for one that would allow me for better performance and at the same time would not break the bank?  :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Shai

PS -- I understand that for true performance, many things need to be done to my PC. For now, I would just like simple suggestions.

Hi there, welcome to Avsim! Yea this is more of a hardware-oriented thread so I'd put it in that section of the forums, but I'm sure it'll get moved  :happy:. 

Well to start, I love my GTX660ti. It might not be the uber-cheap solve all for your rig, but I found a few on Pc park picker for under 300 bucks, and the 600 not-ti is under 200. 

There is the GTX750 and 750ti, which I think might be right up your alley. 150 dollars or so.

Whatever video card you get, make sure that the power supply (PSU) in your PC can handle it..

As far as video memory goes, more memory does not equate to better performance, but

for FSX, 1 GB is a good starting point.. some cards have 2 GB on board..

Based on budget and PSU power, a GTX750 or 760 might indeed be the way to go.

A GTX750 might be considered an entry level card, but only requires 300W of PSU power.

http://www.nvidia.com/gtx-700-graphics-cards/?m=gtx-750

A GTX760 has a lot more OOMPH, but requires a 500W PSU.. probably overkill for your PC.

Bert

Whatever video card you get, make sure that the power supply (PSU) in your PC can handle it..

As far as video memory goes, more memory does not equate to better performance, but

Based on budget and PSU power, a GTX750 or 760 might indeed be the way to go.

A GTX750 might be considered an entry level card, but only requires 300W of PSU power.

http://www.nvidia.com/gtx-700-graphics-cards/?m=gtx-750

A GTX760 has a lot more OOMPH, but requires a 500W PSU.. probably overkill for your PC.

Sorry about the first quote, accident :/

Would it not be logical though, that if I would have a 1GB card and AEX takes up 526MB (and say including my other addon, and FSX included would take up less than 1GB in total), I would achieve better performance? Correct me if I am wrong, but what this means is that FSX and all of its corresponding addons would not have to use up system RAM for graphics.

Best regards,

Shai

Would it not be logical though, that if I would have a 1GB card and AEX takes up 526MB (and say including my other addon, and FSX included would take up less than 1GB in total), I would achieve better performance?

Yes, you will have better performance and have less OOMs with more video card memory, especially since you've started out with a mere 64GB, but I think Bert is saying don't think a 4GB video card will mean 30 more frames than a 2GB or 1GB video card. And Bert, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, you will have better performance and have less OOMs with more video card memory, especially since you've started out with a mere 64GB, but I think Bert is saying don't think a 4GB video card will mean 30 more frames than a 2GB or 1GB video card. And Bert, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the quick reply. You seem to know what you are speaking of, so I will go ahead and ask you. Say I buy a $40 card, I believe I am referencing a "Raedon 5450" from a local electronics store, which has 1GB of memory, or a $300 card of some other sort, which also has 1GB of memory. Would there be any difference in FSX? I realize that newer, costlier cards have a lot of new technology, but would it make a difference in FSX?

Yes, to clarify... video card performance has to do with processing power on the card (GPU).

The video memory at 1 GB is certainly enough for FSX,  but your $50 card is unlikely to produce

the framerates that a $150 card will.  Also, nvidia cards are the preferred option for FSX.

Having said that, your CPU is likely going to be the bottleneck when you get into into high density scenery, and that point, the GPU just sits and waits for the CPU.

So do not buy a $300 card for the system that you currently have... it all has to be in balance.

Bert

your $50 card is unlikely to produce

the framerates that a $150 card will. Also, nvidia cards are the preferred option for FSX

Take note of this. Many people get tempted into buying AMD cards by their cheap prices, but soon have buyers remorse after they don't experience the performance they expected from a new card. I have compared my 660s performance to my brothers AMD card of the same generation (forgot the exact name, sorry) and my 660 has an edge on the card for most anything.

Also, echoing on Bert's last point, if you don't have a CPU that is up to par with your card, you should really research upgrading your CPU as well. Then you might need a new motherboard, then a more powerful PSU, then a bigger case...it's a never ending cycle. However, if you can find a decent GPU that will be able to run from your PSU and not have your CPU bottleneck it, then you're set.

Yes, to clarify... video card performance has to do with processing power on the card (GPU).

The video memory at 1 GB is certainly enough for FSX,  but your $50 card is unlikely to produce

the framerates that a $150 card will.  Also, nvidia cards are the preferred option for FSX.

Having said that, your CPU is likely going to be the bottleneck when you get into into high density scenery, and that point, the GPU just sits and waits for the CPU.

So do not buy a $300 card for the system that you currently have... it all has to be in balance.

Your helpful reply is much appreciated. I will look into some NVIDIA cards as I have read before, they are in fact the preferred choice for FSX. I apologize for carrying on this topic as it does seem resolved, but because you do seem to know of what you speak of, I must ask you. Are there any cards that you would recommend for my i3 that would, as you suggested, balance out my system?

Best regards,

Shai

Take note of this. Many people get tempted into buying AMD cards by their cheap prices, but soon have buyers remorse after they don't experience the performance they expected from a new card. I have compared my 660s performance to my brothers AMD card of the same generation (forgot the exact name, sorry) and my 660 has an edge on the card for most anything.

Also, echoing on Bert's last point, if you don't have a CPU that is up to par with your card, you should really research upgrading your CPU as well. Then you might need a new motherboard, then a more powerful PSU, then a bigger case...it's a never ending cycle. However, if you can find a decent GPU that will be able to run from your PSU and not have your CPU bottleneck it, then you're set.

Thank you for warning me about AMD cards, I was completely unaware of this. As I wrote to Bert Pieke, you seem like you do know what you are talking about, so I should ask you this. Are there any cards that would, quoting you, be able to run from my PSU and not have my CPU bottleneck it? It would be much appreciated if you gave me a few suggestions. I will, of course, research graphics cards myself, but any suggestions are highly appreciated, especially since you and Bert have helped me this whole way.  ^_^ 

Best regards,

Shai