Sign in to follow this  
NAVRAD

error message starting FSX

Hello all

Back to CTD again! Couldn't find the guide so here goes.

FSX crashes frequently once the flight has been selected. It will be in cockpit view and then the error message appears and FSX restarts.

I've checked in Event viewer and I can see the following common causes of this crash;

c:\Windows\System32\dinput.DLL  and SysWOW\ntdll.dll

This is getting really frustrating so if anyone can shed some light on this I'd be very grateful.

Thank you

Alan

The AVSIM CTD Guide is located to the right of this forum under Hot Spots.

There are a lot of reasons for the ntdll.dll crash and I recommend you take a look at the guide and look for Known/Probable Fixes and then ntdll.dll.  Most likely you have your settings set too high but then, if you have tweaks, then a tweak like Bufferpools could be causing it too.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim

Couldn't see the link for looking!

Regards

Alan

Hi Jim

I've been reading through the CTD manual, and I note it suggests installing software to check for corrupt drivers etc. I've installed two different

software programmes for this and I'm concerned that one says I need seven (7) driver updates and one says I need twelve (12).

These are both payware so I'm a little bit cautious. One of these were suggested in the manual.

Would you mind letting me know your thoughts on this before I buy? Thank you and regards.

Alan

Would you mind letting me know your thoughts on this before I buy? Thank you and regards.

These programs are safe if that's what you are asking.  The program does not check for corrupted drivers but will suggest updating out-of-date drivers for your HDD, MB, USB ports, etc.  The one program with more driver updates might have a more updated database (the database is the most important thing to keep updated as provides the latest information).  I have been using two lately, one the Driver Scanner program and the other is Driver Genius (version 14 is the latest).  I have decided to remove the Driver Scanner program as it has not been providing me an updates.  The Driver Genius program has been providing updates.  You do not need the most expensive version of the program as all you want is to scan for updated drivers.  The suggestion in the AVSIM CTD Guide is just a suggestion.  At a minimum you should see if you have outdated drivers on your computer if you are having unexplained crashes.  Whether you update those drivers is your decision.  Most computer makers like Dell will have updated drivers on their websites but they do not always keep this information up-to-date.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim

Thank you. That's answered all I need to know.

Kind regards

Alan