Sign in to follow this  
adi518

Welcome everyone!

Hi Adi,

just a quick report about my tests.

1. Downloaded the newest file from your website. (without any advertising popups!! Thanks)

2. Old SweetFX was removed from P3D root (of course)

3. Put new SweetFX in place

3. Fired up P3D - eFX splash screen came but P3D wasn't started.

4. Tried again to start P3D. eFX splash screen came, then P3D started. I could chose my default flight from the start screen. P3D began to load the dates. A pale screen came together with my airplane but P3D was aborted after some seconds.

5. Tried again to start P3D but only eFX splash screen showed and no P3D started.

6. Tried it 2 or 3 times but only eFX came up.

7. Deleted SweetFX from the P3D root

8. Started P3D, chose my flight, dates were loaded, pale screen with my airplane came and after some seconds P3D was aborted!!!! That was a scaring moment for me!!!

9. Deleted the P3D shade folder

10. Started P3D again and my flight became active. This was a big relieve for me!!!

Well, I also tried your NI profile and I saw it's the same as mine only the SGSS is set different.

The event viewer showed me different reasons for the crashes.

Faulting module name: dxgi.dll, version: 1.9.6.0, time stamp: 0x52915ca1

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17055, time stamp: 0x532943a3
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17031, time stamp: 0x5308893d

Well, that's it from my side for the moment.

Spirit

Hmm. Strange. I'd offer a remote session to check it out myself. SGSS value has to be the same MSAA, so if you use 4x MSAA, you need 4x SGSS. Anyway, SweetFX can't corrupt your install. From what you're saying, it sounds like something else is not playing nice. Let me know if you want to make a remote session. You can ask Bruno (tatankamani) http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/user/22541-tatankamani/ how his remote session experience was. I helped him twice so far and we got sweetfx to work just fine, no crashes.

Check if you have a file log.log. Delete it, try again.

I only have the sweetfx log file & with deleting I still don't get any result. 
Are you sure it has something to do with fsx? 

Do you have any desktop applications installed? stuff like stardock for example? fraps? also what gpu are you running?

@All: read the first post again. There's now a format for support requests. Also, please start a new thread per request. :)

My pc is an ownbuild rig that I made a few days ago. I've only my fsx, some addons and my antivirus installed on my pc. Everything worked well till I added sweetfx. 
I've a i7-4930k (not overclocked yet) 
32gb of ram 
and gtx 780 as GPU 

Here is my log file - full path: C:\MSFSX\
redirecting CreateDXGIFactory
redirecting D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain
removing D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_SINGLETHREADED flag
redirecting IDXGIFactory->CreateSwapChain
initialising shader environment
D3DX10CreateEffectFromFile failed
C:\MSFSX\dxgi.fx(40,10): error X1507: failed to open source file: 'SweetFX_preset.txt'

@Mateusz26: Try disabling the anti-virus.

@All: I decide to to allow up to 2 remote sessions a day. It's a much quicker way to solve things. This also helps me prepare my FAQ faster, which in time will prevent new tickets of the same issue. So what I'm saying basically, if you experience a major issue with sfx not working, you can try and grab this opportunity. Issues that were already answered are not eligible for a remote session.

Shamrock and Mateusz26, would you be so kind starting new threads?

Hi Adi,

That's a unique setup

I realise my setup is a not the norm, but there are plenty of folks with the same or very similar. I'm sure you're efforts will go down a storm with them all.

I understand it can't be a priority though.

Regards

Dave

Hmm. Strange. I'd offer a remote session to check it out myself. SGSS value has to be the same MSAA, so if you use 4x MSAA, you need 4x SGSS. Anyway, SweetFX can't corrupt your install. From what you're saying, it sounds like something else is not playing nice. Let me know if you want to make a remote session. You can ask Bruno (tatankamani) http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/user/22541-tatankamani/ how his remote session experience was. I helped him twice so far and we got sweetfx to work just fine, no crashes.

Hi Adi,

tried something more out of curiosity.

1. Put a fresh SweetFX from your website into the P3D v2 root after deleting the old stuff.

2. Deleted the P3D v2 shaders folder

3. Started P3D v2. The eFX splash screen came, P3D v2 was started too. I chose my flight and it was loaded. Finally I got a ready flight!

4. I could toggle SweetFX with the scroll key.

5. I ended P3D v2 and it shut down properly

6. I started P3D v2 again. The eFX splash screen appeared and then a P3D v2 alert that a program couldn't be loaded or something like this.

7. I tried again to start P3D v2 after I deleted the P3D v2 shaders folder but nothing changed. P3D v2 couldn't start.

8. I deleted all SweetFX stuff and started P3D v2 again and it came up fine. The chosen flight was initialized and everything was fine.

Resume

It looks like that the P3D v2 shaders play a significant role in this SweetFX game but something else got corrupted too.

Another thing is that the P3D v2 with SweetFX looks way to dark! That's not what I would like to have.

The event viewer had this

Faulting module name: dxgi.dll, version: 1.9.6.0, time stamp: 0x52915ca1

Well, that's from my side about SweetFX with Windows 8.1

Thanks

Spirit

PS: I'm not interested in a remote session to go deeper into the problem. I suggest that you install Windows 8.1

It's better if you started a thread or post it to the windows 8.1 users thread. You have to be more specific, I don't know what is the "shaders" folder.

You already told me you're not interested in a session, that's fine. I'm not urging anyone into it and I totally understand that some people are worried about it. However, there's also an extent to what I can help with, without actually looking at it (unfortunately, the event viewer log says nothing in this case). When a problem is out of the spectrum of what I call 'known problems', it requires extra effort to set things right. You have to remember that SweetFX is a freeware application, meaning YMMV. Nobody really owes to support it, including it's author.

I already made this work in windows 8.1, without deleting anything. Again, I have no clue which folder you refer to, there's a Shaders folder inside the SweetFX folder, which shouldn't be deleted, otherwise the effect won't work.

There's a slight contradictory with your intent. You don't want to go deeper into the problem, and even suggest (??) that I will install 8.1 (a little cheeky I have to say haha) yet looking for a solution. Well, one thing I can say right now: No, it won't solve the problem, because the problem you are having is specific to you. Therefore, I kindly ask that you refrain from making such suggestions.  B)

To sum it up for the time being: I don't know what's going on in your computer. I don't know which programs you're running that may/may not prevent this from working. Yesterday, I talked to the author of this plugin and was told that a new successor plugin is in the works (better than EFX) and that it will also fix an issue occurring in full screen mode. I suggest that you wait for news about that. There's no other option at the moment. SFX is great, but most likely not justifies downgrading for those who already based themselves in 8.1. This is why I don't make improbable suggestions such as 'downgrade to 7' etc'.

Hi Adi,

the shaders folder is a folder in P3D v2.2 where the textures will be generated/compiled into. I thought that you have this common knowledge. Well, this folder can be deleted, so the next startup of P3D v2 will generate the content of the folder again. It will be filled successively during P3D v2 sessions. This is nothing new because FSX has this folder too.

The path to the folder is C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

Anyway I'm not in a rush with SweetFX. Take your time to fix the Windows 8.1 problem too. I'm willing to test your next attempt again.

Thanks

Spirit