Sign in to follow this  
Ryan1991

IAP Approach

I've been using Radar Contact for a year or so and last night something new happened and I don't know how or why. But I liked it!

Normally after I get handed over to approach and told to expect vectors I ask for the full IAP app and off I go to fly a STAR.

However last night flying into Koln/Bonn at around 60 miles out I was asked if I had the latest weather, and what approach I would like.

So my question is, why on this occasion did it give me the options at around 60, and how can I make it do it every time? It made flying the star a little easier! I'm not aware that I did anything different to normal. Although it was my first time flying into that specific airport.

Thanks.

That happens when the airport doesn't have an Approach Controller. See manual, page 57 - IAP Approaches.

Unless you want to edit every airport record in f4.csv (NOT recommended) then you will still need to contact App at 40 miles out.

Just a bit of variety to keep you on your toes! :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi,

As a makem exile I will try and help. Ryhope born and bred!!!

The German airspace is covered by ATC centers and these operate under different rules .If you fly into Hamburg the same things happen. You are expected to have listened to your arrival weather and also chosen your desired approach based on that weather. You can then fly your star as normal.

It will only happen in German airspace on a regular basis in Europe.It can catch you out if you have not flown that way in a while.

Ah ok, great stuff, thanks for the quick replies.

I thought i may have done something wrong somewhere to be honest, as even though RC suggested 32R, I had AI traffic taking off on 14L!

I'm from High Barnes near Chester Road. Wonderful part of the world, although I don't live there now!

Look at RC's controller tab to see if an approach frequency is assigned. That is a fixed database frequency that RC uses. I have flown into EDDK (Aerosoft FS9 version) and never had a problem.

There is also a non-supported feature that allows you to use frequencies pulled from your installed scenery either for all installed airports or just a single airport.

Regarding opposing ai on runways please read the Active Sky for FSX pinned topic on ai stability and weather issues with FSX because of FSX limitations.