Sign in to follow this  
rfresh737

Cannot restore a flight file

I had to re-install my FSX and now I can't restore a saved flight. I can save it and the file is time stamped ok but when I load the file none of my saved cockpit switches are saved.

I run in Admin mode, SFX is installed in C:\FSX3 and I have enabled all FSX3 folder permissions (cascading downward into sub-folders).

Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

Any ideas I could try would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Sounds like it's not saving the panelstate that goes with the flight. There should be a saved panelstate corresponding to the FLT file in the PMDG\PMDG 737 NGX\panelstate folder. I know it's not a solution, but it might help track the cause.

Have you tried using a different NGX livery?

Did you manually delete any old PMDG folders before reinstalling, including anything in My Documents? Just clutching at straws.

Sorry for the multiple post.

Hehe. We've probably all done it once. AVSIM has been really slow lately. That doesn't help.

ki9cAAb.jpg

The *.fmc and *.sav file in the PMDG folder is time stamped as current when I do a save and exit SFX. My free flight file name is Test so there is a Test.sav and Test.fmc file in the folder.

I changed liveries but no change. Still won't re-load a saved flight.

This is a fresh Win7 install...I re-formatted my hard drive and then installed FSX into C:\FSX3 (I think that folder name is ok?).

The *.fmc and *.sav file in the PMDG folder is time stamped as current when I do a save and exit SFX. My free flight file name is Test so there is a Test.sav and Test.fmc file in the folder.

The FSX/PMDG/PMDG 737NGX/panelstate folder panel state files should have FLT in them to be reloaded with a saved flight:  Test.FLT.sav & Test.FLT.fmc.  Also if you have a flight plan loaded there should be a file called Test.FLT.0.rte.  If they don't have FLT in them they won't reload along with a saved flight.  But there should still be a panel state that you can reload manually using "load panel state" called Test .

By any chance are you using a flight saved by FSRecorder?  It does not name the saved panel state files correctly.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I see my saved file in the PMDG panelstate folder. The file is in there. There is a Test.FLT.fmc and a Test.FLT.sav file. I have not edited the FMC since when I first tried saving yesterday I discovered it was not loading correctly. So I thought if I could get he panel state to re-load successfully then I'd try saving an FMC trip.

Yes there is a panel state file. I tried loading it from the CDU and it loaded the panel state. So this seemed to work. But I normally don't load that way. I normally load using the free flight load button and this is what is not working. But if the flight loads Ok using the CDU then I don't think I care, right?

But I normally don't load that way. I normally load using the free flight load button and this is what is not working. But if the flight loads Ok using the CDU then I don't think I care, right?

You should be able to just load a saved flight without having to load the panel state separately.  FSX and FSUIPC's Autosave save the flight & panel state correctly.  (FS-Recorder's saved flights do not name the panel state files correctly -- they have to be renamed manually, to add "FLT" to the file names).

Maybe just start over.  Occasionally I have had a similar problem for unknown reasons.  Some bug may have gotten into your saved flight or panel state files.  So I suggest starting over, not from a saved flight but with a completely new situation.   I've seen a number of problems that went away when the pilot stopped using the same startup state.

If you have a route in the FMC there should be a file ending in ...FLT.0.rte.  If you have more than one route you should also have ...FLT.1.rte and possibly higher numbers.  Maybe you need to enter and activate a route to get the save function to work -- not sure -- so maybe do that as well.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I took off and saved the flight using the CDU but when I shut down and restarted FSX I loaded that flight back in but I was still on the ground so I don't understand what the CDU save flight does (I know it saves the route but it also saves other cockpit panel states and that is what confuses me).

So, I still dead in the water because I cannot load a saved flight.

Pending any other suggestions to try I guess I will have to uninstall SFX and re-install it...again... :(

I took off and saved the flight using the CDU but when I shut down and restarted FSX I loaded that flight back in but I was still on the ground so I don't understand what the CDU save flight does (I know it saves the route but it also saves other cockpit panel states and that is what confuses me).

So, I still dead in the water because I cannot load a saved flight.

Pending any other suggestions to try I guess I will have to uninstall SFX and re-install it...again... :(

I am more familiar with the 777, but I don't think you can save a full flight using the CDU.  You need to use the FSX save function.  I'm not at my FSX computer now, but I believe you only saved the flight plan, or possibly the panel state.  Try saving after 1) you have started a new setup situation 2) loaded and activated a flight plan and 3) taken off.  Be sure and use FSX to save the flight, not the CDU.  As far as I can recall, there is no function to save the whole flight in the CDU.  Saving using the FSX save function should work.

I suggest that if this doesn't work you file a support ticket with PMDG, rather than doing a reinstall.  A reinstall might just reinstall the same problem.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

The CDU save flight only saves the route. It does NOT save the flight. The panel state and the FMC state should be automatically saved when you save the flight using the standard FSX save flight menu.

Cristi Neagu

I posted a support ticket with PMDG. They usually take 24 hours to respond.

Thanks everyone.

Well, I could not solve this problem so I re-installed FSX and PMDG 737NGX and now I can save and re-load in flights.

However, when I try to run the "737-800/900 Service Update 1" I get a msg saying I must have PMDG 737NGX installed first. Obviously I do so why do I get this message? My FSX is installed in C:\FSX4 folder with R/W permissions.

Thanks...

Ralph;

My guess is that you just need to re-download the SP1c patch. There was, for a very short time, a version of the patch on the site that would generate that error. PMDG quickly fixed it and put a new file up. Also keep in mind that the full installer now includes the SP1c patch so you could purchase a re-download of the entire product and just do one install, with no need to patch.

And, I should have added, make sure you've loaded the PMDG 737 NGX once after the original install and activated it before trying to patch. I read a thread somewhere that, that helps.

Dave

Dave Paige

After a full 48 hours of waiting on PMDG they finally answered: the Update 1 is for FS9 only. I told Ryan it would be nice if they put that on their website site so everyone would know and not waste their time downloading it and trying to run it, etc.

Thanks Dave for the info.