Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Vectors from STAR

Before i start i'm going to mention i recently got PFE and haven't looked back, great little ATC addon but only took a few days to learn it plus setup lol with its voice expansion upgrade makes it even more cooler and you are guaranteed to get coverage anywhere unlike vatsim, plus you can hear the controllers clearer. 

So here goes i'm on my star not far out doing 273 kias, i'm coming up for my SLP of 250 max but i get a heading turn right 205 ok i turn heading 205 but my confusing is what point do i now use to slow down for my 250 SLP as i'm not longer in VNAV mode or do i have to judge this one guys? 

Vernon Howells

what point do i now use to slow down for my 250 SLP as i'm not longer in VNAV mode or do i have to judge this one guys? 

Barring an emergency situation (i.e. you're on fire), you would slow down below 250 knots before 10,000 feet.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Ask PFE  :lol: . ATC should ask you to slow down if you are not on star, and of course, you should slow down 250kt/10000ft regardless of star.

ATC does slow me down prior to the FAF but i was in the region of fl160 when i was close to the SLP

Vernon Howells

So here goes i'm on my star not far out doing 273 kias, i'm coming up for my SLP of 250 max but i get a heading turn right 205 ok i turn heading 205 but my confusing is what point do i now use to slow down for my 250 SLP as i'm not longer in VNAV mode or do i have to judge this one guys? 

Over here in FAA land, this is how it would go (I see Scotland in your info, so take it with a grain of salt):

• As soon as you're vectored off of a STAR, you're no longer forced to be in compliance with any of its limits - speed or altitude.
  • Because of this, you revert to global speed limits: those of your aircraft, and those of the airspace (which, under 10,000 for a 737 is 250*)
  • The rest is pilot discretion.

The last point is tough in the sim, because most ATC programs you can add in to the sim are notoriously horrible at both vectoring, and sequencing.  One of the main points (to be clear, there are many, but one of the main points) of vectoring is to sequence arriving aircraft.  Programming, by its very nature, goes against the concept of vectors as they really don't have firm bounds.  So, while they get the job done, you're not often going to get a realistic "fly heading [ooo], reduce speed [aaa] knots or less."  The program might do it, but it'll probably do it in some rigid fashion.

TL;DR:

As soon as you're off a STAR, you follow global restrictions, unless ATC provides one.  From there, it's all pilot discretion.

*Except in a few cases as limited by FAR 91.117b and c

Kyle Rodgers

One other thing if am on vectors just before passing fl100 when do i start to reduce speed to 250 ?

Also for you experienced simmers if am on vectors how do i know am going to arrive at the correct height for the ils or the descent alt i have been given as am no longer got the aid of VNAV?

Vernon Howells

One other thing if am on vectors just before passing fl100 when do i start to reduce speed to 250?

Before passing 10000.

Also for you experienced simmers if am on vectors how do i know am going to arrive at the correct height for the ils or the descent alt i have been given as am no longer got the aid of VNAV?

If ATC gets you out on vectoring, they should manage your decent too. They will assign altitudes for you. If you feel you're high, you can always tell ATC that and work it out. They'll vector you to intercept at the right altitude.

Also, do note, when on vectors you'll probably be using heading and level change. 

Cristi Neagu