Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

The difference between the Pay and Free versions of the Frogfoot

So, from what I've been reading, the Frogfoot in its 'free' variation has no 'clickable' VC, but has to be operated with key commands from the keyboard?   If I purchase it, the VC becomes a 'clickable' version?  Is that correct?

No, it's  different aircraft. Still on FC3 level (no clickable cockpit). Sometimes called Su-25A to avoid confusion from "T"

Anything that has "Flaming Cliffs" in title is lower level simulation than pure DCS title. Older flight models, non clickable cockpits... 

Regarding Frogfoot, both "A" and "T" versions have advanced flight models, 3d cockpits (6-dof, unclickable). The T version is much more capable sensor and weapon wise, but A version flies much better. 

F-15C: DCS Flaming Cliffs

A-10A: DCS Flaming Cliffs

Su-25: DCS Flaming Cliffs

have advanced flight model

and are part of DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3 (FC3).

You can buy those three ('modules') separately or buy whole package DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3 (FC3) which also contains Su-27, Su-33 and Mig-29.

Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29 have standard flight model. Su-27 soon will get advanced flight model.

Thanks all

Well, I've had my first introductory lesson in the Su-25. All I can say is wow! Even the taxiing feels awesome!. None of that ground friction bug in FSX or P3D. This feels far superior to any sim I've flown before since 1998.

One question. I'm trying to assign differential toe L & R breaks to the rudder pedals. Ithe Wheelbreak (W) function seems to be parking break though. Any assistance?

Really enjoying this

W should be normal braking in on/off fashion. If you press RCTRL + ENTER you should see overlay with axis positions including brakes, so that would help you to figure out which brake is active and how much. You should be able to assign differential brakes in AXIS controls.

EDIT: It seems there's no differential brakes feature in Su-25T...

Yeah, I noticed that after going to the Mustang where the feature is present.

The airplanes with an SFM (simple flight model) don't have differential or even analogue braking.

The airplanes with an SFM (simple flight model) don't have differential or even analogue braking.

Su-25 both A and T are not SFM

Make sure, 'take-off assistance' and 'auto rudder' are disabled for Mustang in options>special ;]

Make sure, 'take-off assistance' and 'auto rudder' are disabled for Mustang in options>special ;]

I always disable assistance of any kind.  But haven't yet tried the Mustang.

One annoying thing.  When I switched from the Su-25 to the Mustang, my control assignments were all out of synch again and i had to reassign various axes to my controller units. 

Question regarding breaking again - is the Wheelbreak (W) function on the Su-25 main wheel breaking  - as opposed to Park Break.  If it is mainwheel breaking (without the differential aspect) am i then able to assign it to one of the toe breaks on my rudder pedals? 

Su-25 both A and T are not SFM

They aren't AFM either. Just a bit less scripted than SFM, on landing/taking off mostly.

I always disable assistance of any kind.  But haven't yet tried the Mustang.

One annoying thing.  When I switched from the Su-25 to the Mustang, my control assignments were all out of synch again and i had to reassign various axes to my controller units. 

That's the case for every module in DCS, you have to assign keys for every different one of them.

Somebody touched on it above - the "free" and "pay" versions of the Frogfoot are actually different aircraft.

The pay version depicts a baseline Su-25 as was built in pretty large numbers from 1978-89. A very basic and almost archaic aircraft by modern western standards.

The free version is a modernised Su-25T of which I think three prototypes and eight production aircraft were built in 1990 and saw limited service in Chechnya. The T model has an all weather day/night capability, has an electro-optical targetting system and can employ some more advanced weapons. The extra weight added makes it an absolute pig to fly, especially when heavily loaded.