Sign in to follow this  
FlyingAxx

Strange behaviour of mouse wheel

Recently I tumbled over a wired problem of a mate's FSXA installation. The sim itself runs nice and smooth but you are not able to use the mouse wheel in order to turn knobs, the elevator trim etc. as it should be possible (and how it works in my own installation). There is no difference between standard aircraft or high sophisticated ones like PMDG's NGX. Surprisingly in Mouse View mode you can zoom in and out within the sim and there is no problem outside FSX using the wheel, too.

However I looked into all settings and configuration data and did not find any setting that could restrict the mouse behaviour (it's a Logitech standard mouse, no fancy stuff at all). I would be glad if someone here around could give me a useful hint as I would like to help fixing the problem.

Regards,
Axel

fsuipc has a facility to turn the mouse wheel into a trim wheel amongst a few other options, it might be worth looking there if your friend has a registered copy of fsuipc.

Cheers, Andy.

I have a Logitech mouse too and I had to use their utility to program the middle button for autoscrolling. It can be used for zooming too.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

fsuipc has a facility to turn the mouse wheel into a trim wheel amongst a few other options, it might be worth looking there if your friend has a registered copy of fsuipc.

What I meant by the above was that if this option had been enabled in FSUIPC it will stop the wheel functioning in the VC, so you will be no longer able to use it to turn dials and move switches. Sorry for not being clear enough in my last post.

Cheers, Andy.

I have a Logitech mouse too and I had to use their utility to program the middle button for autoscrolling. It can be used for zooming too.

Best regards,

Thanks Jim, sounds like a chance. As this guy is not too familiar with his computer I'll try next Monday whether I can find a driver setting for him. The only thing I wondered about was that [sPACE] + wheel worked but the rest not at all.

What I meant by the above was that if this option had been enabled in FSUIPC it will stop the wheel functioning in the VC, so you will be no longer able to use it to turn dials and move switches. Sorry for not being clear enough in my last post.

Andy, he has no FSUIPC installed as far as I can recall it. Furthermore your description rather seems to effect the opposite. However, thanks for trying to help.

Regards,
Axel

Best regards,

Jim,

Even it the Mouse had been recognized as being from Logitech, it just worked with the Standard HUD driver of Microsoft for USB devices. I tried to find a specific driver on Logitech's Web-page but only got a configuration software for their equipment which did not change anything (actually there was no relevant option available).

It would be nice if you could provide me with a link to the related utility program.

Regards,
Axel

It would be nice if you could provide me with a link to the related utility program.

You need to install Setpoint for every Logitech product. Here's the latest version - http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/3131?section=downloads&WT.ac=pt|5947|sp1&osid=14&bit=64

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You need to install Setpoint for every Logitech product. Here's the latest version

Thanks Jim, I'll try it on Monday again (I think I already tried this package), and I'll check with a different mouse... However, for me it's kinda strange seeing such problems with a more or less simple product.

Regards,
Axel

However, for me it's kinda strange seeing such problems with a more or less simple product.

I totally agree but that's the driver package for Logitech products. If you still have problems then I suggest you download and run a freeware driver scanner product. It will scan your system for outdated devices like USB ports, the Intel I7 chipset, and many other components of your computer that are not updated via Windows Update. If it finds anything, it will offer to download and install the updated drivers for a license fee. If you are savvy with Google/Bing, you should be able to Google the drivers and download each driver yourself. It could be your USB ports have not been updated and are not working properly.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

It could be your USB ports have not been updated and are not working properly.

Good point Jim, I'll see what I can do. As I wrote already, it's not my system (should I say fortunately?), but I'm trying to help an old simmer buddy and his system seems not to be in a perfect shape. Actually, it's also a matter of time and efforts even if the guy doesn't live too far away.

Regards,
Axel

Okay, finally I gave up. I updated the board drivers (a package from ASUS by the way) with no avail. I tried to reset FSX by disabling the existing fsx.cfg without success. I tried out Logitech's software - as I already did before -  with no success and a different mouse didn't do it, too. There seems to be no other software where the mouse wheel did not work as expected, including the zoom in/out function within the sim.

However, thanks for answering nonetheless.

Regards,
Axel