Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

EDDF ILS freq out of date help!

Okay guys i tuned in EDDF ILS freq with my 737 ngx and i'm using AIRAC 1408 the latest one i was hoping the ILS at EDDF matched but i was wrong i checked on fsx flight planner shortly before arrival into EDDF and the freq are different no problem i got runway 25L freq from FSX 110.70 but there was no DME theres no DME on any ILS freq at EDDF can someone confirm that there is no DME or its just ME thats missed something?

i'm finding alot of ILS freq are different and i know FSX is 8 years old how can i over come this annoying problem?

Vernon Howells

Hello Vernon:

If you have(or want to get) ADE (Airport Design Editor - freeware from Scruffyduck) it is very easy to change the frequency.

If you don't want to get into that, Ray Smith's EDDF (available here in the Library) has 25L at a frequency of 111.15. I don't know about DME, as I haven't flown there lately.

- Roger

All sevenflyer i used ray smiths but also downloaded ADE :)

is there anymore in europe like this i can get from ray?

also there is ILS Y and Z on my charts is this to do with differences or something? i'm using navigraph.

vernon

Vernon Howells

Vernon,

Excellent question, it's come up many times here in the forums.

If you don't want to update your airport information, I believe you can simply obtain the ILS frequency from your FMS, which gets it's information from the default FSX AFCAD or any new/updated scenery/AFCAD you have activated.

Remember that Airport Scenery AFCADs may contain a lot of different changes, some of which are:

- ILS frequencies

- Local NAVAID information

- Runway information (changes to runway course and sometimes runway number, runway length, runways that have been added or removed,

- New taxiways

- New terminals and buildings

OTHER METHODS TO CORRECT

1. As an alternative to just using what you're FMS shows you, you can go more realistic by editing the airport as Roger described in his post above but if you do so be sure to check and update the NAVAIDs as well as ILS information.

2. If you don't wish to take the time to update the airports yourself, you'll find updated scenery or AFCADs for hundreds of airports in the Library here on AVSIM and elsewhere. There is a CAVEAT to this, and it also applies to Alternative 1 (above), The worst way one can add scenery to FSX is to simply place the scenery or AFCAD straight into the Addon Scenery sub-folders ("scenery" and "texture") as quite a number of scenery and/or AFCAD authors have indicated to do in their installation instructions. The result of doing this is that eventually you'll have trouble knowing or remembering what is installed and in some cases where it is installed, making future updates problematic.

Not to worry, there is a VERY simple solution! 

STEP A. Create a Folder and name it for the airport/location starting with the Airport ICAO (Boston-Logan would be KBOS), followed by the authors name (last name if the first name is long) and month-date.  EXAMPLE: "KBOS R.Smith 06-2012". This tells you at a glance what is installed, who created it and when it was created, making updates a LOT easier and preventing all sorts of problems by having more than one scenery or AFCAD installed at the same time.

STEP B. Inside your newly created folder, create two sub-folders inside your newly created folder, one named "scenery" and the other "texture" (using small caps will follow the FSX folder naming convention). 

STEP C.  Place you're updated airport information in the scenery folder and any custom textures in the "texture" folder. The author's instructions would tell you which files to move where, the only difference being that you'll move them to your Custom Airport Folder created in Step A instead of the "scenery" and "texture" folders inside the Addon Scenery folder.

STEP D. Place your Custom Airport Folder anywhere you wish (even inside the Addon Scenery folder), and use the FSX Scenery Manager to activate the scenery.

YOU"RE done, and will have avoided complicating your scenery library and a lot of problems that come with having multiple files for the same airport.  Do this a few times and you'll be a pro and it will take you no time at all to accomplish.

Our group (OVPA) has over 65GB of worldwide airport scenery/AFCADs that we keep up to date, and the naming convention above has made things VERY easy to manage it all, so I strongly encourage you to use the same naming and format convention discussed in the Steps above.

Hope this helps!

Doing this, you'll  You'll see quite a lot of AFCADs in the AVSIM

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hi dave i've already installed quite a few airports already i haven't done it your way just read it? have i screwed up? also placed files into the global folder?

Vernon Howells

i removed a folder from addon scenery after i used fsx scenery library now i get an error message when starting up fsx? saying SCENERY.cfg file error 115

Vernon Howells

sorry i don't know much about the intricacies of scenery folder management but to answer your other question...

also there is ILS Y and Z on my charts is this to do with differences or something? i'm using navigraph.

yes, they are different versions of the same approach usually with a few differences in things like what navaids are required.

for example at LIBD the ils-x rwy 07 uses the "BPL" nbd for the missed approach and the ils-z uses a radial and distance off of the BAR vor instead (and also has a specific waypoint for that at OSMAL). sometimes there will be minor differences in the minimums or things like that.

cheers

-andy crosby

i removed a folder from addon scenery after i used fsx scenery library now i get an error message when starting up fsx? saying SCENERY.cfg file error 115

The scenery is likely still activated in FSX, just go in and deactivate.  You should deactivate scenery before uninstalling or deleting the files.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

andy have a look at EDDF ILS runway 25R 

somehow got it to work dave.

Vernon Howells

Hi dave i've already installed quite a few airports already i haven't done it your way just read it? have i screwed up? also placed files into the global folder?

Naw, I don't think you screwed anything up, just a little back tracking is necessary... no big deal.

For scenery objects that go into the Global\Scenery or Global\Texture folders, the authors USUALLY start the file names with the airport ICAO, so finding and removing them (if necessary) isn't usually a problem.  What we do is create a third folder inside the Custom Airport Folder (that we create) and call it "manual moves" and place files that go into the Global folder, effects folder, modules folder and basically anything that doesn't go into the actual scenery itself) in the manual moves folder.  We include the complete path starting from the main FSX folder so all one has to do to install is COPY and paste the folders inside the manual moves folder straight to the main FSX folder. To do this, we just create the folder chain, so for a file in the Global Scenery" folder we'd create a series of sub-folders like this:

Custom%20Airport%20Folder%201.jpg

Custom%20Airport%20Folder%202.jpg

Custom%20Airport%20Folder%203.jpg

Custom%20Airport%20Folder%204.jpg

We COPY the the folders from Manual Moves instead of CUTTING them so that we'll always no what files to remove should the scenery be updated or we move from a freeware airport to a payware airport (that's when the most problems can occur).

If you can't locate the files you placed into the Global\Scenery folder, just download the scenery again and look to see what they were.  I'm guessing you used a Ray Smith AFCAD?  He does great work, and likes to add small objects around the airport and places them in the Global Scenery folder.  I might be mistaken, but I think you can also get those objects to show my placing them in the "scenery" folder instead of the Global Scenery folder, which makes things even easier.

Once you get your folders worked out, save it as a Master Addon Scenery folder so you can use it time and again for different airports.  If you'll shoot me an private message with your email, I'll email a Custom Folder set to use (give me a day or so, as I'm on my way out the door).

Edited by DaveCT2003

Dave Hodges

andy have a look at EDDF ILS runway 25R 

in that example, the ILS-Y is for CAT I and the ILS-Z is for CAT II and CAT III. the main difference you'll notice if you compare them is the minimums are lower (118' instead of 196') for the ILS-Z and the glidepath is 0.2 degrees different...you would only use it if the plane you are flying is capable of doing a CAT II or III as well... (it is a certification thing for both the plane's capabilities and the airport infrastructure.. typically only fairly large/major airports have CAT III for example)

cheers

-andy crosby

Dave says you can't except emails?

Thanks andy i did say see the difference in CAT but not the glide path ! In FSX i don't think it matters do you think?

Vernon Howells

Dave says you can't except emails?

Veron,

Sorry about not responding... I'm back online now after a several month absence while I moved about 1700 miles. Working on the new house and what not has also kept me really busy.

I don't except emails directly via AVSIM, but you can PM me your email address and/or any questions and I'll be happy to respond - OR - you can contact me via the Contact OVPA button on the OVPA website (that's not a plug, we don't have forums on the OVPA website). Either way is fine and will reach me.

Dave Hodges

Thanks andy i did say see the difference in CAT but not the glide path ! In FSX i don't think it matters do you think?

FYI- yes, you can fly a different glide slope. At EDDF, ILS Y for 25L/07R is set to 3.2deg. If the AFCAD contains the correct ILS signals for this new approach (you can code this via ADE for the AFCAD) , then you can fly it in the sim. Incidentally, only the 25L/07R runways are equipped with the additional 3.2 glideslope.

Regards

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Hi dave no worrys if i have a problem i'll email you. Just for your information guys if you have MTX traffic! They have changed the NDB freq by rounding it down. 2 airports so far with NDB that have changed at EGNX rwy 27 should be 353.5 but in fsx its showing 353.0

EGGP rwy 27 should be 349.5 and fsx is showing 349.0

Mark if you use the 737 ngx and navigraph will it fly the glide thats in the database?

Vernon Howells