Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Selecting my first second airliner

>Still more than my monitor can handle. I would have to go to a>refreshrate of 60 Hz if I wan't 1280*1024.>Also if I increase the resolution from 1024*768 (I use that>now)>to 1280*1024 (current TFT screens) does this not mean more>stress on the computer? How much does it affect framerates>stutters?Well, the problem is, most of hi-quality 3d-party a/c now requires high resolutions (1280 or higher), so you should consider a new monitor and maybe video card. MDMax panel can be used in 1024x768, but there is a loss of detail compared to, say, default 737. However all the readings remain readable, except for the stand-by altimeter.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

>Well, the problem is, most of hi-quality 3d-party a/c now>requires high resolutions (1280 or higher), so you should>consider a new monitor and maybe video card. MDMax panel can>be used in 1024x768, but there is a loss of detail compared>to, say, default 737. However all the readings remain>readable, except for the stand-by altimeter.>What about the other planes suggested in this thread? That isPMDG 737NG, RFP747 V2,LDS767, DF727. Would this problem be less (or more)significant regarding this issue about resolution?

Actually, the RFP 747-200 is great but you have to be willing to patiently read a very long manual to even be ready to start the engines. But the manual is fairly clear and once you understand the procedures, you won't forget. The detail in the startup procedures with respect to the panel and fuel management and other aspects of the REady for Pushback is quite astounding!The PMDG 737NG is of course the other obvious choice that I know. Also, PMDG will be releasing the 747-400 Jumbo probably in the next few months so I would look into that as well but release date is yet unknown. However, it looks like a ground-breaking product with features never-before attempted and everyone is patiently waiting for it.The PSS Airbuses are not bad, but have more bugs in them then the PMDG and RFP (which have basically no bugs of any significance whatsoever). You need to get alternate flight dynamics from Pedro Oliveira (for the A320) and from Bob Scott (for the A330/A340) in order for the PSS Airbuses to function without issues. I've been flying them now with these alternate FDE's and they run fine but PSS charges for the liveries...Forgot to add: Yes the RFP 747 and the PMDG 737NG I run at 1024x768 and the panels are quite clear, although I'm sure they'll be even sharper at 1280x1024 or higher.John

>Actually, the RFP 747-200 is great but you have to be willing>to patiently read a very long manual to even be ready to start>the engines. But the manual is fairly clear and once youDo we get some printed documentation (CD version) if so which and what documentation is only on the CD?>Forgot to add: Yes the RFP 747 and the PMDG 737NG I run at>1024x768 and the panels are quite clear, although I'm sure>they'll be even sharper at 1280x1024 or higher.>Fine then these two products seems more interesting than the other.

Guest Armstrang

PSS has their stuff on sale. I wanted a jet with FMC, so I could get ready for some of the new planes yet to come out, but I needed FPS-friendly planes, too. I got the A340 for ten bucks. It is FPS-friendly, it is not too tricky to fire up and go with, and it is a good intro to the world of FMC's. Great documentation. They have fixed the problems from the early reviews, too. Ten bucks. Wow. Now, I have to consider their 777 when it comes out, due to the positive experience the ten bucks got me.

Guest ozpilot

PDMG 737 and DF 727 are great - I haven't got the LDS 767 yet but plan to - probably will wait til after the patch is available

Don't forget about the DC-9 by Flight1. It was originally for FS2002 but has been upgraded for FS9. It is very friendly on frame rates, has a good manual, and offers the old style of VOR and NDB flight with no FMC. It gives you the option of cold and dark startup or ready to taxi, so if you are short on time you can stil get a good flight in. It is fun to hand fly and has free liveries available to be used with the included text-o-matic livery installer. This plane much like the DF727 will keep you busy during the flight even when it is on autopilot. Have fun, and be safe.Scott