Sign in to follow this  
coolfreesurf

SP1 vs VAS memory

Hi,

I really expected that SP1 would improve VAS memory use. After 3 days and 8 flights, in fact it's just the opposite. SP1 uses, for me, about 200 Mo VAS more. Maybe the weather radar (anyway it's really a huge improvement in FSX world).

I ve tried new 22 khz sound package, hoping it could help but without success.

I'm quiet a bit disapointed, i waited SP1, expecting some VAS improvement.

Does someone have the same issue ? any idea how to get back to previous VAS usage ?

other trouble, when i apply power to taxi (no flaps), even with 2 or 3% N1, i have a flap config alert, never had this issue before SP1 ?.

Hi,

I really expected that SP1 would improve VAS memory use. After 3 days and 8 flights, in fact it's just the opposite. SP1 uses, for me, about 200 Mo VAS more. Maybe the weather radar (anyway it's really a huge improvement in FSX world).

I ve tried new 22 khz sound package, hoping it could help but without success.

I'm quiet a bit disapointed, i waited SP1, expecting some VAS improvement.

Does someone have the same issue ? any idea how to get back to previous VAS usage ?

other trouble, when i apply power to taxi (no flaps), even with 2 or 3% N1, i have a flap config alert, never had this issue before SP1 ?.

Cannot confirm either a general VAS increase or flaps config alert with taxi thrust.

For the VAS footprint, check your sound caching option: With full sound caching enabled, VAS may increase by about 200 MB.

CDU/OPTIONS MENU/SOUND menu/PRE-LOAD SOUNDS:

"This option allows you to choose which PMDG custom sounds are pre-loaded (cached) into memory at various times. This can be used to prevent stuttering or reduce the airplane’s VAS footprint." (Intro doc, p. 105)

The default setting is NONE/lowest VAS usage, so that is the setting you should go back to/check being enabled.

Thanks . i ve checked and preload sound is set "none" by default so it s not where i have lost my 200 mo vas.

Thanks . i ve checked and preload sound is set "none" by default so it s not where i have lost my 200 mo vas.

I think it was Robert that stated that VAS would probably not be lower then the original release. This is quite understandable when you think of the extra lines of code needed for the data link and weather radar.

There are lots of information on AVSIM on how to get a lower VAS results, all involve losing something to compensate. FSX was never built to last to 2014 and beyond unfortunately.

With regards to the flap config alert, this sounds like the aircraft is seeing the power increase climb too steep to quick and thinking you are trying to take off, as such telling you that you are not configured. I don't know if this is anything to do with the new fly-by-wire changes. I would suggest that you try recalibrating your throttles just to check or even disconnect them and try moving the throttles by keyboard. You can then check to see how far you go before you hit the warning. I have the SP1 and the 300 but haven't seen this problem so I can't help 100%, sorry.

I am doing a test flight with autosave feature.

I know its not the best solution but I have a habbit of keeping track on my Task Manager.

My strategy in test right now is if I feel that my fsx is close to reaching fail point, before reaching a crucial stage like approach, I would restart FSX and resume flight with VAS cleared.

I am testing this right now. Its not the best solution but I think I am willing to sacrifice a little convenience over absolute loss of flight.

Bilal Asif Khan

thanks voodoo for your advice on flap config alert.

On VAS item.thanks to 777 since 1 year i m almost a expert on VAS optimization. I think i m near to have read all forums, sites etc on the net lol.

So my fsx was tweaked the best it could be. With sp1 upgrade without any change i ve lost about 200 mo vas so it s only linked to sp1 or ASN which i bought to take davantage of the new weather radar (which is amazing).

A question to all simmers : what is your average VAS left with pmdg 777 loaded just after starting fsx ?

I too initially at origin see about 170MB drop in VAS, (950MB RTM VS about 780MB SP1 Available VAS according to FSUIPC monitor. (Approximately)), however, I'm not seeing as large of drop at destination which is the critical point in the flight. I just completed a 14:30 hr flight from KLAX to YSSY (Flown Real time) where with the RTM, I would at best just barely make it with the chimes sounding, This flight I had about 400MB VAS available at the end of the flight. Note I'm running 32bit Vista with 4GB memory. The approach and landing, was just as smooth as the takeoff was. With the RTM version I would get increasing stutters and pauses during approach and landing, so for me this is a big improvement!!

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Depends on the scenery and your settings.

For example with no AI leaving from KHI using MSK OPKC scenery I left with 1.4 GB memory usage. However, last night I left from FSDT KIAH with 30% AI (this flight is being tested with my strategy and is in pause mode right now till I go back home from work), I had 2.1 GB memory usage and then dropped down to 1.3 GB during cruise.

Btw, these readings are from task manager but it gives a general trend.

Bilal Asif Khan

OK, so I have just done a test flight from Aerosoft EGLL to FlyTampa LOWW, With Orbx land, FEX weather and ASN running in the 300. I will not give specifics as VAS is different on each people system, needless to say that I did get a few pings during takeoff. This is more then when I did the same flight in the 200 before SP1. I did have 40% AI traffic at Heathrow which I turned off mid flight. I still landed at LOWW on the limit.

I am going to try it tomorrow with all airports turned off, leaving on EGLL and LOWW. This I think will help a lot, however I do not want to go another stage and turn of ground textures.