Sign in to follow this  
Noel

How is the ERJ145 PIC compared to PMDG 737NG 800/900

I have been considering both these titles. How do they compare?The one thing I can see differs between them is the size of the plane. What significance has this for FS? Which is easiest to learn?If you wrote a Avsim review what would you state under the headings'What I liked about ERJ/737NG''What I didn't liked about ERJ/737NG'Also I use a Athlon XP 2400+ 512M (to be upgraded to 1 Gb) Powercolor Radeon 9800 Pro 128M and a 17" CRT 1024*768*32.

Guest Keyser Soze

Hi,sorry I can't write it in the AVSIM review style because I would repeat the pros for both products - perfect flight dynamics (to me both birds act very realistically), cool external models, beautiful 2D panels, sophisticated FMC's, nice sounds. I don't use virtual cockpits at all, so maybe someone who does can tell you about that. The only negative thing I could say goes to ERJ and that's a lack of a load editor. You just have to use the standard FS load editor.And which is harder to learn? Maybe many simmers won't agree but I think it's the ERJ because it is controlled in a little different way than most other jets. It has no AT, so you are more concerned about the speeds.They are different but not in quality. Both are TOP-NOTCH add-on's. If you don't mind spending money for both products, get them and I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. If you just can get one product at this moment, I'm sorry that I can't help you with the decision. You just have decide if you like more airliner jets or rather regional charters/airliners.Good luck!P.S. I don't work for feelThere or PMDG ;-)

Guest bonjourmoi44

I agree whole heartily with Keyser. Even though the 737 is top notch, why not try the LevelD 767 (after the upcoming patch) if you want a heavy. They just came out with a tutorial that is pretty good.

Keyser,i have the PIC allong w/ PMDG, LDS, and a few more.I have been trying to learn the PIC for some time now and making no progress. Do you think you could help me out if we could get together some time? I am experienced with the PMDG, and the LDS was so simple because the FMC's are so much alike. Not on the PIC though. I just need help with the FMS setup. :)My msn messenger is Chaseme55@msn.comIf you cant contact me on there, PM me if you are able to help me out sometime. Have read the manuals many times. Need it put easier for me. :)Thanks alot! :-waveMy reccomendations isPMDGLDSF1 ATR. Great for VFR. I need help on the FMC though.PIC ERJ145. Fun to fly, would be even more fun if i can learn that fmc.:-wave

Guest lalo lolo1

Cheaper, lol. Unless you already have the 737-600/700.To have the 738/9 working you first have to buy the 736/7, meaning a final cost of around USD 70.This makes me realize I have spent over $100 in only two of my ACs. Lol.IMO the PMDG is better. Since it has an AT it is very cool in terms on VNav, feature the PIC doesn't have because of lacking the AT. Other than that the FMC has more features too and if you buy the 736 and 738 versions you have a big bunch of liveries.Also, there is not updated Navdata for the ERJ (Or is it there? If so I'll be grateful someone tells me where to get it) and the PMDG has the current AIRAC available at Navdata.atAs per the ERJ, if you used Grabowski's panel long enough it gets really easy to learn the PIC. Both are the best addons available, sharing the position with the Ready for Pushback and the LDS 763.Leo

Guest oyvindhansen

They are both study sims, but the ERJ's manuals could definitely be improved, even Bill Grabowski's freeware panel has a far better manual (which is a really good read as a matter of fact). PMDG on the other hand has hundreds of well-written well-illustrated pages.On the other hand the layout of the panel and its flight characteristics makes the ERJ a joy to hand-fly. The 737 obviously has a heavier feel.-

I have both and like both, but would give the edge to PMDG in terms of the flight model and documentation. Also, on my machine, the ERJ is a bit harder on the frame rate than the PMDG. Download all the documentation for the free ERJ (Bill Grabowski) which will be very helpful for the feelthere ERJ Mike

Guest Stefan Bergert

The ERJ does have a realistic advisory VNAV so it tells you when to descend and at what angle to meet your FMC entered constraints (if you entered any manually).The PMDG is very complex and realistic, especially with the -800/900 update (if you need to buy the 600/700 first I would recommend the ERJ due to reduced money-spending ;-) )I loved the ERJ because it is different to the Boeing and Airbus stuff which we have with PSS, PMDG and LevelD. You get different handlings and procedures, other graphics and displays which will be new and where you'll maybe say "hey, why doesn't Boeing have that feature/layout".Stefan

>The PMDG is very complex and realistic, especially with the>-800/900 update (if you need to buy the 600/700 first I would>recommend the ERJ due to reduced money-spending ;-) )>But according to info I have read the 600/700 is not needed for the boxed CD version of 800/900. Or is it? This is an important issue for me since I don't have the 600/700.

>I agree whole heartily with Keyser. Even though the 737 is>top notch, why not try the LevelD 767 (after the upcoming>I have heard that it won't be feasable on a 17" CRT using 1024*768which I have now.

>To have the 738/9 working you first have to buy the 736/7,>meaning a final cost of around USD 70.>Is this not the case only for the DL versions? That's what I have heard.>IMO the PMDG is better. Since it has an AT it is very cool in>terms on VNav, feature the PIC doesn't have because of lacking>the AT. Other than that the FMC has more features too and ifWhat about the real world ERJ145? Does it have AT? If not then the lack of AT in the sim as just as real as it get.

Guest Stefan Bergert

Good question...you might be correct with the boxed version...maybe ask at the PMDG forum or contact an online store?Don't know but I think if there's the boxed -800 and the boxed and older -600 and if the -800 boxed is stand-alone, nobody would buy the older -600 boxed version...?!Stefan

>>Good question...you might be correct with the boxed>version...maybe ask at the PMDG forum >I did and never got any answers. Then I posted in this forum and immediately got answer saying stand alone.>>Don't know but I think if there's the boxed -800 and the boxed>and older -600 and if the -800 boxed is stand-alone, nobody>would buy the older -600 boxed version...?!>But the boxed 600 has existed long before the 800 and maybe some whants all models of the plane.Also the DL info clearly says the old basic version is needed but no such requirement is ever at any site stated for the boxed 800/900.

Jfri,Sorry we missed your question in the PMDG forum. Here's the short answer:Yes. The boxed 800/900 from Aerosoft is stand-alone. No need for the 600/700.The longer answer. A quick search in the PMDG forum revealed the following threads:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...76234&mode=fullhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...73482&mode=fullCheers,

Guest Stefan Bergert

This is really kind of them...didn't know that.But nevertheless, if you are interested in a totally other handling and atmosphere I would look at the ERJ (this doesn't mean that the PMDG has nothing special and extraordinary to offer - best TCAS, best displays, very customizable,...).Stefan