Sign in to follow this  
Wildblue

Do I Really Need To Buy Asn Only For Weather Radar In 777?

Hi. I'm using Opus en PMDG 777. Now do i understand correctly that in order to make the weather radar work in PMDG 777 i need to buy ASN?

I have no intention of using ASN for the weather because i like Opus. So, in my case i only should buy ASN for a small utility or module or something, is that correct?

Or are there other ways to make the weather radar work in the 777?

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

You need to use the weather from ASN for the WX radar to work. You are not buying ASN for a module/utility but rather because it exports its weather in a format that PMDG can create a WX radar accurately off of. If you do purchase ASN you would need to use that and not run OPUS for weather generation in the sim. 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

That's correct. For weather radar you need to have ASN installed, their DLLs provide the interface into the sim for reading the radar data. REX in association with another company will soon be releasing a weather radar Addon which should be less expensive but you will have to wait for the aircraft developers to interface to. All weather radar data is independent of the weather source.

Stephen :-)

Okay, thanks.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

You need to use the weather from ASN for the WX radar to work. You are not buying ASN for a module/utility but rather because it exports its weather in a format that PMDG can create a WX radar accurately off of. If you do purchase ASN you would need to use that and not run OPUS for weather generation in the sim. 

False, you do NOT need to use the weather generated by ASN to use the radar. All you need is the initial files installed from the ASN installation in order to get the radar interfaced and talking with FSX. The source of the weather is entirely up to user preference, aka, persons who use opus and have posted screen images using opus weather in conjunction with the ASN FILES.

Can the the initial files installed from the ASN installation be installed without buying ASN?

Can the the initial files installed from the ASN installation be installed without buying ASN?

Since they are proprietary files, I'd go with no.

sig01.png

If you are going to use the ASN WX radar interface then you should purchase a license. Best to support all developers considering the high cost of software development and how essential Addons are to FSX and P3D.

Perhaps ASN might be swayed to introduce a reduced license for just their WX Radar feature. Similar to the soon to be released REX WX radar Addon, developed in collaboration with another company. I'm sure all aircraft developers will also provide an option to interface to this Addon. When LM fix the RequestCloudState SimConnect function (the function intended to extract this sort of data ... Combined with precipitation data that is) then all developers will have easy access to this type of 'internal' sim data.

developed in collaboration with another company

Could this company be Opus Software ? :He He:

Yes it does work, just see the screenshots and try it. Many people are already using it just fine, the data is not dependent on any weather engine or source, just as REX have announced there's is independent. The data is all internal to the sim and simply accessed through the DLL. Plain and simple, just try it for yourself and stop believing the hype.

Stephen