Sign in to follow this  
Wildblue

Do I Really Need To Buy Asn Only For The Weather Radar In 777?

Hi. I'm using Opus en PMDG 777. Now do i understand correctly that in order to make the weather radar work in PMDG 777 i need to buy ASN?

I have no intention of using ASN for the weather because i like Opus. So, in my case i only should buy ASN for a small utility or module or something, is that correct?

Or are there other ways i'm not aware of to make the weather radar work in the 777?

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

Now do i understand correctly that in order to make the weather radar work in PMDG 777 i need to buy ASN?

Currently, yes.  No other weather program provider has been able to provide the required level of data to simulate a radar.

Also:

"Service Unavailable" does not mean "didn't post."

Kyle Rodgers

Currently it only works with ASN. No ASN no weather radar.

BTW can something be done about multiple posts? People are seeing a error or something and reposting. I never see this on any other forums. Just AVSIM.

Richie Walsh

BTW can something be done about multiple posts? People are seeing a error or something and reposting. I never see this on any other forums. Just AVSIM.

Probably - it didn't happen before one of the "upgrades," or server re-images that went in a while ago.  While I think they should fix the glitch, I think a little user prudence (and common sense) is in order.  I wouldn't go hammering away at an order page like people do with the forum.  Granted, money is on the line in the one case, and isn't when it comes to the forum, but still...

If this were the order page for the 777, this guy would have quite the bill on his hands...

Kyle Rodgers

Okay thanks for the answers.

And sorry for the multiple posts. I did not realize that Service Unavailable means the post still succeeded.

"If this were the order page for the 777, this guy would have quite the bill on his hands.."  LOL, i could buy 20 ASN's for that.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

Stop to say JUST ASN can make the job... In fact, just a DLL (or more) of ASN make the job...

Unfortunatly, without theses DLL, the weather radar can't work... With theses DLL, the WR work with OPUS...

But... without ASN, no DLL, then...

A solution is to contact Steven... May be, or not...

Jean-Michel Richard

Unfortunatly, without theses DLL, the weather radar can't work... With theses DLL, the WR work with OPUS...

Nope, it's not.

Kostas posted about this himself a couple of days ago. The WXR will show "an image", when using the DLL and another weather engine, but it won't be the correct one. In essence, it's doing pretty much the one thing PMDG has been stating as the reason why a WXR wouldn't work in FSX: it's generating a glorified cloud map.

Some of the info might be correct, but the total image won't be.

So yes, for the moment it's JUST ASN that will provide you with a decent WXR.

I have been using Opus myself for sometime but I got the trial for ASN and I will have to say ASN has been looking pretty good in renderings of clouds and realism for thunderstorms.

Give the trial a spin and I think you will like it it..if not..you gave it a try.

I plan on having both from here on in.

Okay thanks for the answers.

And sorry for the multiple posts. I did not realize that Service Unavailable means the post still succeeded.

"If this were the order page for the 777, this guy would have quite the bill on his hands.."  LOL, i could buy 20 ASN's for that.

You're welcome, and I'm glad you understood my humor!  Usually with website errors, people just assume that it didn't work at all, which isn't completely unreasonable.  Honestly, the site admins should fix the issue to avoid it altogether, but it's always worth checking things before trying again.

Kyle Rodgers

I have been using Opus myself for sometime but I got the trial for ASN and I will have to say ASN has been looking pretty good in renderings of clouds and realism for thunderstorms.

Give the trial a spin and I think you will like it it..if not..you gave it a try.

I plan on having both from here on in.

I used Opus for quite a while before I got ASN (and still use Opus for the camera controls), but ASN blows it out of the water for weather. It's really the best application out there for weather right now.

Jon Skiffington