Sign in to follow this  
nathanpinard

Question About The Sound Design Of Fs2Crew

Disclaimer: I'm not an FS2Crew owner (yet) but I've seen countless videos on FS2Crew. The voice acting is actually very believable. More than other aircraft voice addons.

However, as a sound designer I have just a few questions and just suggestion. Since you are asking for voiceover crew that is unpaid, I figured I would suggest something that might help.

1. Currently the voice overs in most cases sound like they are done with a slightly distorted mic or headset. Is this meant to make the audio sound as if it's coming through the headset. Do pilots wear headsets that muffle out all surrounding sound like some GA planes?

2. Or did you intend the audio to sound as if it was in the cockpit itself, with no obstruction?

If it's #2, I would suggest having a stereo mic, which the subject to the right of it. Heck, in the actual cockpit would work but I doubt access to that is difficult. Otherwise it can be any room, even if it's completely dead. There are small recording devices that provide very good quality stereo mics out there. One being the Zoom h1. I'm assuming it has to be affordable for someone to volunteer.

This would provide that sort of "live" sound that would mix very well with the current sound effects. Without it sounding somewhat phoned in due to headset and such.

My third question is, do you allow people to re-record voice packs? or do you prefer the application process to that? and when I say voice packs I mean freeware, not payware.

At any rate, I'm really impressed with FS2Crew. I may apply myself though I'm not sure I have a voice for it.

Why would you need a stereo mic, surely you'd just pan the FO's voice to the right speaker in post production in order to get a realistic sound stage (if you assume the captain isn't wearing a headset)?

Although that's something of a moot point anyway because all pilots wear headsets these days to communicate with both ATC and with crew (over the intercom), at least once the engines are started. Most flight crew use their own noise-cancelling headsets (even on jetliners) but a few will use the ones that are already in the aircraft (sometimes these only have one ear piece and they're almost never noise-cancelling) and they are always mono, since the jacks and mics are mono.

Sometimes the crew will only use one of the earpieces and leave the other free so they can hear the pilot sat next to them without using the intercom.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Hi Nathan,

The Audio engine takes care of all 3D effects, so recording in stereo would make no difference.

As for the voices, we receive them as we receive them.  Everyone's computer and mic is different, so we usually just accept the voices raw but try to edit out the pops, clicks, etc., as best we can.

We try not to add too many effects and filters as that often makes the voice sound odd.

It's not possible to edit the sounds in FS2Crew as they are compiled together into a package.

Best,

This is a somewhat related question. In the real world, how do the pilots communicate? Through their headsets or outside the headset? In other words, setting up my voice control system, should I have the first officer responses go through my headset or through the speakers?

John Callum   Nothing is impossible if you don't have to do it yourself.

Win 10, X-Plane 11.50, FS2020, Honeycomb Alpha, Saitek panels, HP Reverb G2

This is a somewhat related question. In the real world, how do the pilots communicate? Through their headsets or outside the headset? In other words, setting up my voice control system, should I have the first officer responses go through my headset or through the speakers?

Depends on the time and place. 

Watch the cockpit videos on YouTube to get a sense of it.

Cheers,