Sign in to follow this  
danbw10

Variable Performance/fps In Games (Fsx)

Hello everyone, 

Problem after problem for me unfortunately. 

Just got a new PC 5 days ago, and a couple days after, my performance has been very inconsistent, more noticeable. For example, in Minecraft, on one occasion I can get 300-400 FPS and on another occasion I get 1100-1300 FPS (difference is way too large..). In FSX when locked at 30, I have been able to get 30 but other times around 20 FPS (all on high settings and demanding add-ons) I have had a few blue screens, some of them coming when doing system restores, but recovered from them fine. During that time, in the BIOS, I also pressed F5 which loaded the 'optimization defaults' and changed a few things just to note. I have tried reinstalling Windows with no luck. 

Temps on my CPU are fine and now I am wondering whether maybe my GPU has messed up, but not sure how I can check.

Specs: 

Intel Core i7-4790K 4x4.00GHz (Turbo 4.40GHz)

Asus Z97-A Motherboard

Vision G-Series V2 Gaming Case

Kingston 8GB DDR3-2400 HyperX FURY

Asus GeForce GTX770 2GB OC (with DirectCU II cooler)

Raidmax 835W Power Supply

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD

1TB Seagate Barracuda (7200rpm, 6GB/s) 

Antec Kuhler H20 650 Liquid Cooling

Asus Crystal Sound 2 (Dolby Home Threatre & DTS)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Thanks in advance and any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

What are your FSX settings, what config tweaks are you using, are you using Nvidia Inspector, if so, what are those settings (for FSX)?

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Variations in FSX of 20 to 30 FPS are normal with high sliders and demanding add-ons.

Despite having a powerfull PC don't go mad with sliders. Be sensible with the known frame rate killers, like shadows, traffic, etc.

I use no frame rate limiter, myself and others have found this very beneficial.

You've done a lot of "mucking about" in five days... ^_^

I would agree - solid 30fps is good in FSX, and dropping into the 20s with high settings and demanding scenery is to be expected..

Bert

If I load up FSX and load up the default set-up (ultralight, fair weather etc.), I only get 30-40 FPS. I know this is very unusual.

FSX Settings:

DetailRadius: Large
Mesh Complexity: maximum
Mesh Resolution: maximum
Terrain Resolution: maximum
Water: High2.x
Scenery Complexity: Extremely Dense
Autogen Density: Extremely Dense 
Bloom: OFF
Lens Flare: ON
Advanced Animations: ON

Traffic: Only cars at 80%

I know Bert :P Maybe it's just my misfortune, or maybe it's just me and my fussy personality. 

Nonetheless, a place where I would get above 60 FPS (without a frame limiter) I get 20-30 FPS now..

Cars need to go to about 10-20%

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

I don't know what you are expecting, but if I were you, I would lock FPS at 30 in FSX,

select vsynch=1/2 monitor refresh in NI, and turn off the FPS counter, permanently.

..and lower some settings in FSX if you do not get smooth flight - start with freewaytraffic=0.

Bert

I have tried all your recommendations with no luck, as I expected; I just can't get it back to the way it was before and should be like others have theirs perform. I believe this is a hardware issue. 

Surely it's not normal that Nvidia Inspector shows that my GPU load is between 80 to 90% when playing Minecraft? (reinstalled windows, yet to install fsx). CPU seems to act normal in terms of temps and load..

If I were you I would go with LOD Rad at default 4.5 (I don't get blurriest with this setting) and I would set both Scenery Comlexity and Autogen at vey dense and I'll bet you won't notice the difference, then I would not use any kind of frame rate limiting whatsoever plus I would only use Water=2x high if you are using the BP=0 tweak.

Try it and see.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I am fully convinced now that this is a hardware issue. I am experiencing the same pattern in other games.

It appears as though my GPU is forcing massive load on to itself: http://billedeupload.dk/?v=JVUN7.png

The load percentage (88%) is far too high from what I hear and in a normal instance, I should get it at around 50-60% which I do get sometimes but it changes every restart. On one occasion it can be fine with 50-60% load but after a restart the load will go back sometimes to above 90%.

Difficult to explain but oh well. Let me note that my GPU was overclocked.

Fire up FSX with the FSX default trike.

Use the Grey and Rainy weather scenario.

Airport EGBB Runway 33.

I'll tell you my GTX 770 load and you tell me yours.

Edit:

I get...

Nvidia Inspector

Temp 53

Fan 44%

Load 42%.

GPUZ

Temp 55

Fan 44%

Load 43%

Frame rate 95.

But don't forget, my sliders are lower than yours.

PS. Have you updated the GTX 770 BIOS? Worth doing. My EVGA card required a BIOS update for one or two issues.

Problem seems to have been fixed, but you never know. It could be a hardware issue..

Reinstalled Windows (didn't lose much, only 5 days old), reinstalled FSX, SP1 + SP2, tweaked loaded up default Trike at default EGBB no other add-ons, Silders close to high:

Nvidia Inspector

Temp 49
Fan 58%
Load 55%.

GPUZ

Temp 49
Fan 58%
Load 55%

Frame rate: 200-300

Nothing at all wrong with that Dan. All good.

Slightly higher load than me, probably due to your higher sliders, antialiasing etc.

200-300 frame rate is immense. Just 95 for me on the runway, with grey and rainy weather scenario.

Yeah, thanks for the help - appreciate it. 

I have a fresh Windows and FSX install, no REX, extra textures or any add-ons installed yet so I am not surprised by my frames. Once all the add-ons are installed it will go down naturally.

Cheers,

Dan