Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Installing AFCADs

I thought this was all clear to me - but I find that one aspect is not!There are many instances in the AVSIM file library of scenery files being available for FS2002 only, but where an AFCAD for FS2004 has been posted to update the scenery. I assumed that the new AFCAD would replace the old - but I have just tried installing UUDD scenery by Gary V. The old AFCAD, UUDD.bgl, that comes with the package is several hundred KBs in size - the AFCAD2 file for FS2004 that has been posted specifically for this scenery, AF2_UUDD.bgl, is about one tenth the size (and has no installation instructions - probably assuming that it is obvious!). I'm not supposed to have both, surely?Whatever, I tried all combinations, replacing the original with the FS9 AFCAD in the scenery folder of the package, and also leaving the UUDD folders as they are and adding the AF2_UUDD.bgl file to my addon scenery/scenery folder. Which is correct, if either? Both options leave me with incomplete scenery though, with gates leading up to thin air (what I think is supposed to be a hub). The texture folder seems to be complete - nothing missing.Oddly, the same author's UUEE file works fine - I have left the UUEE2003 folder as it is, with its fs2002 UUEE.bgl file, and pasted the AF2_UUEE.bgl FS9 update into the addon scenery/scenery folder. Not sure this is right, as I have two active bgl files for UUEE that way, but the scenery works with aircarft at the right gates. Was I supposed to erase the UUEE.bgl file frrom the UUEE2003 scenery folder and replace it with the AFCAD for FS9?? (Latter put where?).Oh dear ... Total confusion over something I thought was second nature to me!Martin :-roll

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I am pretty sure that, despite the FS2004 AFCADs, the scenery files I mention do not work except in FS2002.Still like to know what to do about FS2004 AFCADs though when they come as updates to FS2002 scenery. (Overwrite the old AFCAD or what?).ThanksM.

As with all AFCADs, there should only be one AFCAD and preferably, place it in the SCENERY folder of the scenery itself, not in the addon sceneryscenery folder so you can track it later. I only place AFCADs into the addon sceneryscenery folder if the airport does not have any scenery folder of its own - i.e. only an AFCAD is provided but using the MS default scenery (making runways, gateways, taxiways more realistic but not having any accurate real-world colours/textures to the buildings themselves).So, your only AFCAD should be the FS2004 version which should work with the scenery for 2002 (I have a few airports like this and they work fine) and it should be placed like this: X:PROGRAM FILESMICROSOFT GAMESFS9ADDON SCENERY[AIRPORT SCENERY NAME]SCENERY (where X: is the drive where FS2004 is installed).You should delete the FS2002 AFCAD and place the FS2004 AFCAD into the airport's own scenery folder. I think it is normal for AFCADs for FS2004 to be quite smaller than FS2002 ones so don't worry about that. If the scenery doesn't work (e.g. planes/parking spots are misaligned), then there is something wrong with it and it's not your fault.For organization's sake, try to create a new folder for every scenery with bitmaps that you install within the addon scenery folder so you can track them easily. Do not just place all the files for the textures into the addon scenerytexture folder and the BGLs into the addon sceneryscenery as some scenery designers recommend in their readme files. As long as you point to the correct folder in your scenery library, no matter WHERE you install scenery, FS2004 will find it and load it. You can even install new scenery into another drive or partition other than the default FS9 folder and create a new folder called "ADDON SCENERY 2" like I've done. But you cannot do this with the aircraft - they have to be in the FS9AIRCRAFT folder.John

In most cases, AFCADs in FS2002 were supplied as text files which were read by AFCAD 1 and used to edit the default AFD files. Though it was possible to compile an AFD file for FS2002 (for example, using SCASM). The AFD format is not used by FS9, and AFAIK, any AFD BGL files would be ignored. Therefore, you can delete any FS2002 AFD file without problem. The bigger problem, though, is that FS9 AFCAD files can create visible scenery, and FS9 AFCAD files can modify ILS transmitters. So it is possible for conflicts with FS2002 scenery. Also, if the altitudes in the scenery and AFCAD are not doen well, you can get texture bleed-through, sinking or floating aircraft, etc.scott s..

Thank you both for this. I uninstalled the FS2002 UUDD scenery and the FS2004 AFCAD for it - the scenery loaded but took for ever to do so, was very unstable when loaded (constantly freezing up for several seconds at a time) and took for ever to exit - lots and lots of disc activity at all stages, which I don't usually get. Better without it. There's a payware version, some $30, which, as Russia is my favourite flying zone at the moment, I might buy (mostly because of the amazing new freeware Project Tupolev 154B-2 - very, very highly recommended, though a steep learning curve). Bought some nice Moscow/UUEE scenery at SimMarket the other day too ...In future then (and I know some FS2002 scenery works well in FS2004 with the right AFCADs), I will replace the FS2002 AFCAD in the scenery with an updated FS2004 one - I was 99% sure that duplicate AFCADs were never a good idea.I think my bgl files are arranged quite logically. I have an addon scenery folder (for single airport AFCAD files, mostly small files of the AF2_UNNT.bgl variety); an addon scenery 2 folder (for scenery files with texture folders); and an addon scenery 3 folder (for scenery files without texture - terrain mesh, landclass and so on). This keeps everything neat and tidy and seems to work fine.Finally, what's the best programme for editing .bgl files? I have some nice St. Petersburg scenery, with texture folder, but some of the buildings are in the water. I'd quite like to learn how to edit these myself to correct such problems, unless it's horrendously complex. I'd be interested in recommendations.Thank you,Martin