Sign in to follow this  

Every so often, once a day, I get my display going all weird, with a grid of little pink squares, then it goes blank, before re-freshing the screen with an error message in the Task Bar area

'Display driver Nvidia Window Kernel Mode version  335.23 stopped responding and has successfully recovered'

What is causing this? Windows 7 x64 Pro, Gigabyte GTX560Ti

It could be something as simple as; a bad over clock on your gpu, or, having your graphic settings too high, causing your gpu to work too hard, and overheat. It could be a power supply problem (ie, loose plug between your gpu/psu). Worst case scenario is that your gpu is on it's last legs. You may want to test it on another pc. You could also try installing a different set of drivers.

Those are the first things I would look at. Good luck, and I hope it isn't anything too serious/expensive.

Jazz 

Thanks for that.

a)GPU not o/c'd

b) rock steady top make Be Quiet! PSU, so not been an issue

c)GPU on last legs could well be right because having bought the GPU on the West Coast USA and returning it to Gigabyte, Ca., received from them what I believe was a refurbished replacement within the warranty period instead of a brand new preplacement. Hence, so much for a Gigabyte warranty. Thus, will now never ever buy anything with a Gigabyte name on it. Lesson learned.

d)have done just that with latest WHQL drivers

I had this happen to me...i thought it may be my Gcard overheating, so i took the case off it....the fans blades was caked it dust and all the cooling Fins was coverd, stopping airflow / Heat discharge. Cleaing sorted the problem.....(if that was the orignal problem, but havnt seen it since)

Luke Pype

Thanks for that too, MaDDogz, but I regularly air-blast the PC case thoroughly with compressed air as I only know too well what dust does to PC components. Nevertheless, a good point.

I wouldn't be too hard on gigabyte, they make good products. All manufacturers make a dud every now and then. 

Even EVGA, and Asus, will replace dud gpu's with a refurbished model. Only their (EVGA) highest end cards are eligible for their lifetime warranty, and even then you may receive a refurb. Most manufacturers reserve that right in their warranties.

Look at the bright side, now you can get a newer model gtx770/780, and make fsx look even better.

Jazz 

Hi Jazz

Valid points there, for sure, but replacing a brand new card within 6 months of purchase with a refurb? Come on. And to send it back in a plain vanilla box  with just the card when I had mailed them the full original box complete does not exactly generate a feeling of acceptable customer service. In fact it achieved the opposite because now you could not even give me one of their products for free!