Sign in to follow this  
med11043

MD-11 Sweeping Upon Pressing APPR/LAND

I apologize in advance if someone has posted this before (I thought I remember reading it a long while ago but searched and couldn't find it),

but I am having the following issue...

As I am approaching localizer capture, as soon as I press the APPR/LAND button on the MCP (I usually do this when the localizer beam is one dot or less off) the aircraft suddenly and over-dramatically banks towards the localizer beam (causing it to go past it) then back in the other direction before finally intercepting it (i.e., if the beam is slightly off to the left and I am turning right to intercept, as soon as I press APPR/LAND instead of continuing the right turn and intercepting the aircraft suddenly banks to the left "towards the beam," overshoots it, then banks dramatically back to the right.)

I assume this is an issue and the real aircraft does not do this?

I have never noticed this with any other addons, including other PDMG addons.

Thanks

Michael Demers

As I am approaching localizer capture, as soon as I press the APPR/LAND button on the MCP

Maybe your are pressing the APPR/LAND too far out from the runway. Usually the localizer signal becomes active about 26-27 miles out and the glideslope about 19-20 miles. I don't press the button until I see both signals are active and the localizer is essentially centered. This could be anywhere from 8-19 miles from the runway. I get some banking but it is not over-dramatic. This might help your issue.

Maybe you are going too fast and/or waiting too long, or too much off course. Approach the localizer at no more than 30 degrees off.  Fly a reasonable approach speed at flaps 15 or 28 and 10kts above stall, and activate appr/land just after the localizer begins moving. Usually, the jet will line up pretty calmly with only minor overshoot if any.

Good luck

Clark Janes

pmdg_trijet.jpg