Sign in to follow this  
orcunizma

Getting a new system for FSX

My recommendation would be to turn HT off and use AM=14, but I know there are others who like HT on..

Bert

The benefits of using AM settings (and using none at all) are pretty much tied to the software mix of individual systems.  That being said, using AM=252 in fsx.cfg would probably yield terrible performance for any hyperthreaded (HT) system (BTW where did you get that value?).  FSX itself does not benefit from HT, though it's not harmed by it either (except for AM values which put the main thread and a texture loader thread on the same physical core, e.g. 252).  I suggest not using any AM value initially and take it from there (and beware that the placebo effect can be overwhelming).  I hope that system has a pretty good CPU cooler, for running a haswell OC with HT on really boosts temps, and that's why lots of OC'ed FSX system owners disable HT (myself included).  BTW, that is a really great system for FSX.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Agreed... AM=244 might be worth a try if you have HT enabled

11 11 01 00

or AM=84

01 01 01 00   which is essentially the same as 14 with HT off  (1110)

Bert

The benefits of using AM settings (and using none at all) are pretty much tied to the software mix of individual systems.  That being said, using AM=252 in fsx.cfg would probably yield terrible performance for any hyperthreaded (HT) system (BTW where did you get that value?).  FSX itself does not benefit from HT, though it's not harmed by it either (except for AM values which put the main thread and a texture loader thread on the same physical core, e.g. 252).  I suggest not using any AM value initially and take it from there (and beware that the placebo effect can be overwhelming).  I hope that system has a pretty good CPU cooler, for running a haswell OC with HT on really boosts temps, and that's why lots of OC'ed FSX system owners disable HT (myself included).  BTW, that is a really great system for FSX.

I've read it on the internet that AM=252 is 11 11 11 00 are you sure on that? And the system is water cooled and passed huge stress tests without issues

Agreed... AM=244 might be worth a try if you have HT enabled

11 11 01 00

or AM=84

01 01 01 00   which is essentially the same as 14 with HT off  (1110)

I will try those out soon as my FSX is installed. So if I set AM=244 it uses all of the virtual cores except 3 right? Which in the second one only 3 of the cores, and the other 5 being left off

Best Regards

Orcun Günaytekin

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

I will try those out soon as my FSX is installed. So if I set AM=244 it uses all of the virtual cores except 3 right? Which in the second one only 3 of the cores, and the other 5 being left off

Best Regards

Correct

Bert

Correct

So I will probably use the first one to make the most out of it, thanks for the help. Now the only question is if AM=252 is really that wrong or not

Best Regards

Orcun Günaytekin

There is no right or wrong here... it is a matter of trade-offs.

But remember that FSX loads up the first core that it has access to with it's main rendering load (the one responsible for fps..)

The other cores are used for texture loading..

So, 252 allocates both virtual cores on the second physical core to FSX - and FSX will fully load this core anyway..

So that is why that decision would raise eyebrows.. -_-

252 = 11 11 11 00

Bert

There is no right or wrong here... it is a matter of trade-offs.

But remember that FSX loads up the first core that it has access to with it's main rendering load (the one responsible for fps..)

The other cores are used for texture loading..

So, 252 allocates both virtual cores on the second physical core to FSX - and FSX will fully load this core anyway..

So that is why that decision would raise eyebrows.. -_-

252 = 11 11 11 00

Alright so AM=244 feels just right or which one would you use? This is the only thing im unsure at about FSX

Best Regards

Orcun Günaytekin

Alright so AM=244 feels just right or which one would you use? This is the only thing im unsure at about FSX

Best Regards

Use 244. FSX still has several more threads that arn't and can't be assigned with the affinitymask and those can utilize all your cores.

Do not use 252 as has been pointed out earlier its a bad setup that induces stutters and FPS drops.

Finally, put both OS and FSX on the SSD. That will give you the smoothest flight.

Do not use 252 as has been pointed out earlier its a bad setup that induces stutters and FPS drops.

AM=252: been there, done that...you will get the above results using it even with that OCed DC processor.  As for which AM value is right?  Try them all (no none at all) and see which works best for your setup; there is nothing to lose doing this, except for some of your time, of course.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Alright guys many thanks!!! Finally my problems solved! :lol: ^_^

Happy flyings! :-)

Best Regards

Orcun Günaytekin

So what AM do you use now ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

So what AM do you use now ?

The truth is I didn't even need to set any tweaks in the FSX.cfg and it still was running at 30 FPS locked without problems + all sliders to the max. But im using AM=244 just in case.

Best Regards

Orcun Günaytekin

Turned HT completly off and deleted AM off the .cfg it caused blurries. VSYNC at 1/2 and frames locked and stable at 30.

Best Regards

Orcun Günaytekin