Sign in to follow this  
stevecurran13

Optimal FSX install

Hi guys,

So this is my first post to Avsim and I'd really appreciate any info I can get on this topic.

I have played FSX for quite a long time at this stage, probably since it was released actually. I am only coming back to it not after about a 2 year break though. I have also recently finished putting together a new rig. It has the most up to date hardware, so performance shouldn't be an issue if the sim is configured correctly...along with my expectations! :) I just don't want the install to cripple or impact performance unnecessarily if it can be avoided.

Specs:

i7 4790k (stock speeds for the moment, 4.4GHz)

Corsair H110 CPU cooler

EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX

Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz

Samsung 840 EVO 500GB

Asus Maximus VI Hero

Corsair AX760 PSU

Currently the SSD has about 250GB free as the OS and other games are currently on it. I have also just bought 2 WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm HDDs (WD10EZEX).

So my question is, where should I install FSX?

I know it will be faster to load on the SSD, but that performance will not be improved in the sim. Will it be smoother overall on the SSD? If I install FSX on the SSD and addons on the other HDDs, will they work with FSX? I read somewhere that you might have to use symbolic links?

Also, I was thinking about setting up the two HDDs in RAID 0 with a 128kb stripe size and installing FSX on there. Does RAID 0 cause issues with FSX (stutters/lower FPS, etc)

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Steve

Install FSX and the add-ons on the SSD ( 256 GB ) . Advantage of SSD : faster loading and no need to defrag !

I have/suggest you have fsx on its own SSD.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Does RAID 0 cause issues with FSX (stutters/lower FPS, etc)

Perhaps with mechanical hard drives in RAID 0, not really with SSDs. Seeing as there is no moving parts, fast access times, and overall better performance. I've noticed that when running certain games on a mechanical hard drive it would stutter, regardless of whether RAID was set up or not. However, with an SSD, there was no such thing. It was smooth. Save the Blue disk for data backups, IMO.

I personally run FSX and Windows on the same drive, and I don't see any stuttering issues.

Ok, thanks for the input guys!

I have decided to keep things simple and just install FSX on the SSD. 250GB should be more than enough for the moment. I don't have many mods or planes that I want to install anyway.

I've also decided to install X Plane 10 to the mechanical HDDs in RAID 0. 1.8TB over there which should also be plenty.

Thanks again,

Steve

My setup is the opposite: System on the SSD and FSX on the mechanical HDD. No problems and fast loading times. SSD-space is too expensive for me to use it for FSX.

i7-4770K at stock speed on ASUS Maximus VI Extreme

I have 6 240GB SSDs configured with 2 each in RAID 0 for Drives C, D, and E.  This gives me three 480GB SSDs.

WIndows 8.0 on Drive C

FSX on Drive D (D:\FSX)

Scenery and other data files on Drive E

RodeoGeorge