Sign in to follow this  
rufowler

adding a heading bug to panel

Is it possible to add a heading bug to an aircraft if it doesn't already have one?  Specifically, I'd like to add one to a few older model general aviation aircraft by Carenado and Alabeo in my hanger that didn't come with one.  I just want one for a visual reference to overlay on top of  my panel's heading indicator, and don't really care how/whether it works with the autopilot.  If this is possible, can someone point me in the right direction? :) Thanks!

(Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything about this.)

A heading bug is a part of the HSI (horizontal situation indicator).  To add one means remaking the HSI gauge.  You might get lucky and be able to swap in an HSI that has a heading bug from another FSX aircraft by editing the panel.cfg file.  Always make a backup copy before attempting any modifications or edits.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

If you have FSUIPC you can simply match an unused switch/button or key to adjust your heading bug (HSI).  Some basic heading indicators also have a heading bug which also can be slewed via FSUIPC if they don't a have a bug dial in the field of view. 

Thanks guys.  Yes, I do have FSUIPC and am less worried about a totally realistic gauge with two separate knobs for calibrating and adjusting the bug.  I mostly fly VFR in small aircraft and more than anything wanted to have something on the panel for me to see visually in my VC.  I'm ok for the moment with foregoing a working visible/working second knob that operates the bug as long as I can assign a hotkey to it.

This might be a little over my head, but I'll give it a go.  Anyhow, I found a couple of heading indicator gauges with bug which would work fine, but their size is a bit off, and while they use CAB files like just as the one on my aircraft do, they seem to be "built" rather differently.  Here's the XML file for the plane I'm working on now.

<Gauge Name="Heading Indicator" Version="1.0">
   <Image Name="Directional_Gyro_Background.bmp"/>

<Element>
      <Position X="0" Y="0"/>
      <MaskImage Name="Directional_Gyro_Mask.bmp">
         <Axis X="153" Y="153"/>
      </MaskImage>
      <Image Name="Directional_Gyro_Card.bmp">
         <Axis X="153" Y="153"/>
      </Image>
      <Rotate>
         <Value>(A:Plane heading degrees gyro,radians) /-/</Value>
         <Failures>
            <SYSTEM_ELECTRICAL_PANELS Action="Freeze"/>
            <GAUGE_GYRO_HEADING Action="Freeze"/>
         </Failures>
      </Rotate>
   </Element>

<Mouse>
      <Help ID="HELPID_GAUGE_HEADING_INDICATOR"/>
      <Tooltip ID="TOOLTIPTEXT_HEADING_INDICATOR_HEADING"/>
      <Area Left="0" Top="0" Width="375" Height="375">
         <Cursor Type="Hand"/>
         <Click>785 (> K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)</Click>
      </Area>

<Area Left="9" Top="244" Width="36" Height="65"> 
       <Cursor Type="DownArrow"/>
       <Click Event="GYRO_DRIFT_DEC" Repeat="Yes"/>
      </Area>

<Area Left="46" Top="244" Width="37" Height="65"> 
       <Cursor Type="UpArrow"/>
       <Click Event="GYRO_DRIFT_INC" Repeat="Yes"/>
      </Area>
   </Mouse>

</Gauge>

Straightforward & simple enough.  So from what I can tell, to get a working bug on there I would need to:

1) insert an image (which I actually already made from copying and changing the existing Directional_Gyro_Card.bmp file to just show a small bug icon) to the CAB file,

2) add code in the XML that would tell the gauge to overlay the new bmp "Element" and to rotate it when need be,

3) and add some lines in here that connect the gauge to the aircraft's autopilot system.

Again, this is all very new to me so I'm not really sure how to code this.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Well after spending the weekend fiddling around with SDK and trying to learn the coding, I figured out what needed to be tweaked & added to the original Carenado Piper PA28 I was installing a heading bug to. For anyone interested, here's the XML file with my additions.  I had to create the actual (translucent) heading bug file called "Directional_Gyro_Bug.bmp", but that was easy enough to create.  Anyhow I now have a nice looking and functional heading bug that integrates with the autopilot too.  Cheers.

<Gauge Name="Heading Indicator" Version="1.0">
  <Image Name="Directional_Gyro_Background.bmp"/>

<Element>
      <Position X="153" Y="153"/>
      <Image Name="Directional_Gyro_Card.bmp">
         <Axis X="153" Y="153"/>
      </Image>
      <Rotate>
         <Value>(A:Plane heading degrees gyro,radians) /-/</Value>
         <Failures>
            <SYSTEM_ELECTRICAL_PANELS Action="Freeze"/>
            <GAUGE_GYRO_HEADING Action="Freeze"/>
         </Failures>
      </Rotate>
   </Element>   

<Element>
      <Image Name="Directional_Gyro_Bug.bmp">
         <Axis X="153" Y="153"/>
      </Image>
      <Rotate>
         <Value>(A:Autopilot heading lock dir,radians) (A:Plane heading degrees gyro,radians) -</Value>
      </Rotate>   
   </Element>

<Element>
      <Image Name="Directional_Gyro_Mask.bmp">
         <Axis X="153" Y="153"/>
      </Image>
   </Element>

<Mouse>
      <Area Left="0" Top="0" Width="310" Height="310">
         <Tooltip ID="TOOLTIPTEXT_HEADING_INDICATOR_HEADING"/>
         <Help ID="HELPID_GAUGE_HEADING_INDICATOR"/>
         <Cursor Type="Hand"/>
         <Click>785 (> K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)</Click>

<Area Left="0" Top="250" Width="155" Height="60">
            <Area Left="0" Top="0" Width="50" Height="60">
               <Click Event="GYRO_DRIFT_DEC" Repeat="Yes"/>
            </Area>

<Area Left="50" Top="0" Width="50" Height="60">
               <Cursor Type="UpArrow"/>
               <Click Event="GYRO_DRIFT_INC" Repeat="Yes"/>
            </Area>
         </Area>

<Area Left="155" Top="250" Width="155" Height="60">
            <Tooltip ID="TOOLTIPTEXT_AUTOPILOT_HEADING_INDICATOR"/>
            <Area Left="50" Top="0" Width="50" Height="60">
               <Click Event="HEADING_BUG_DEC" Repeat="Yes"/>
            </Area>

<Area Left="100" Top="0" Width="50" Height="60">
               <Cursor Type="UpArrow"/>
               <Click Event="HEADING_BUG_INC" Repeat="Yes"/>
            </Area>
         </Area>

</Area>
   </Mouse>   
</Gauge>

I know this topic is a bit dated, but this is exactly what I'm trying to do.  I installed a freeware S-TEC 30 turn coordinator (Bob Kellogg gets credit!) and I need a DG with a HDG bug for my Carenado PA28A.

I copied your xml and I'm implementing and I sent a PM to ask if you'd share the HDG bug bmp (and any advice).  It's not clear to me where the bmp is for the HDG knob.

Thanks,

Bruce

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

microsoft flight Simulator x steam edition I am using the bendix_king.hsi.gau from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\beech_baron_58\panel in the Meyers 200D panel, C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\200D\Panel. in the panel config file, the reference is [Window00] gauge07=Beech_Baron!Horizontal Situation Indicator,  1036,307,211,210 so when I open FSX and use the Meyers 200D the Horizontal Situation Indicator heading bug knob has no function and is stuck at 360 degrees.  It works fine in the beech_baron_58. What needs to be added to the Myers package to make the HSI ( the Horizontal Situation ) Indicator heading bug knob to function?  credit for this build to: 
Tim Piglet Conrad
Piglet's Peculiar Planes
piglet-ap@dslextreme.com

Hi Mitch

In FSX where you have the 3D knobs that are actually raised the coding that controls the knob function is buried in the model , so effectively there is nothing that you can do with it

to activate the knob .

There is another way ! !

In the autopilot there is usually a method , either a knob or a click window that allows you to swivel the HSI bug about the HSI dial .

Check if your aircraft has an autopilot , in some cases the autopilot is in a Pop Up window .

If it does not have an autopilot , then install one and make the necessary " aircraft.cfg " entries to enable it .

If you need help with installing the autopilot come back here and you will get assistance .

Cheers

Karol