Sign in to follow this  
do_denver2

CPU spikes every few minutes causing low FPS and stutters

Some things I would try.

1. Turn your overclocking off (use Auto for CPU and Memory timing)

2. List all 5 pages of your graphics settings including an GPU control panel settings or nVidia settings

3. List all add-ons you are using and how they are configured (all details including other products that get added like RAAS)

4. Disable everything in your DLL.XML and EXE.XML

Other suggestions:

a. Start with a clean V2.4 full install and see if you can duplicate

b. If you are using nVidia Inspector delete the profile you setup

c. nVidia Control panel find the Prepar3d.exe and click the "Restore" button to rest it to defaults

d. Make sure you have the latest video drivers

e. Purchase/Install AVG PC Tune up ... makes it easy to identify and disable tasks running in the background

f. Turn off Windows Update

g. Disable any anti-virus/malware

h. Disable Windows Index servicing

Memory timing/OC is a known source of page faults.

SGSS AA is another source of stutters.

Texture sizes above 1024 will also be another source of stutters.

I'd start with 1-4 above to get problem resolution.

On a side note: please don't PM to look at threads unless you feel they are violations of AVSIM ToS.

Cheers, Rob.

Finally i found the solution, steam.exe.

Yea its the steam which is run after a couple of minutes from the sim starting which is use 40% to 30% of your CPU causing your both P3D/ FSX run in low FPS and causing the Spikes in your CPU usage.

Just open the task manager and monitor, then after minutes of flying (may differ from PC to another) you will see the steam.exe (surely if you have it installed) starting and running, just simple highlight it and click right mouse click to END the process.

Hope this help you and enjoy your flying.

Thx.

Finally i found the solution, steam.exe.

Yeah, Steam can do that, especially if you have purchased anything recently it will start to download the purchase in the background and/or update any of your existing games.  And if you have it set to let you know when "friends" come online it can also interfere with overall system performance.

I rarely recommend 3rd party tools for managing running background tasks and/or registry clean up, but if there is one that has actually worked well on one of my PC's it was AVG PC Tune Up.  It helps you manage tasks without having to get too involved with the OS.  It will let you know what processes are running in the background that are causing high CPU usage and will give you an easy way to disable them temporarily (re-enabled on demand).  You can also create process exceptions (as in don't monitor or adjust ... like TrackIR5).  It's a good "end user" tool and one of the few I actually trust.

Cheers, Rob.

I had similar stutters (4 core CPU with hyperthreading on). Fluid flight with intermittent stuttering up to 4 seconds with fps dropping to  single figures from > 25 fps. It was cured by setting my AF to 85 to disable the virtual cores since i can't switch off hypertthreading on my machine and I believe P3D by default uses all cores including virtual. Stutters were eliminated. I tried AF=84 to disable core 0 but the scenery became blurred. So try setting your AF....

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I had similar stutters (4 core CPU with hyperthreading on). Fluid flight with intermittent stuttering up to 4 seconds with fps dropping to single figures from > 25 fps. It was cured by setting my AF to 85 to disable the virtual cores since i can't switch off hypertthreading on my machine and I believe P3D by default uses all cores including virtual. Stutters were eliminated. I tried AF=84 to disable core 0 but the scenery became blurred. So try setting your AF....

Try 224

Yeah, Steam can do that, especially if you have purchased anything recently it will start to download the purchase in the background and/or update any of your existing games. And if you have it set to let you know when "friends" come online it can also interfere with overall system performance.

I rarely recommend 3rd party tools for managing running background tasks and/or registry clean up, but if there is one that has actually worked well on one of my PC's it was AVG PC Tune Up. It helps you manage tasks without having to get too involved with the OS. It will let you know what processes are running in the background that are causing high CPU usage and will give you an easy way to disable them temporarily (re-enabled on demand). You can also create process exceptions (as in don't monitor or adjust ... like TrackIR5). It's a good "end user" tool and one of the few I actually trust.

Cheers, Rob.

Robin, did you recommend use these in my P3D v2.4

AM=224 BP=0 FIBER FRAME TIME FRACTION=0.15.

????????????

Since v2.3 onwards I'm not using any "adjustments" in my Prepar3D.cfg.

Cheers, Rob.