Sign in to follow this  
jaguara5

MCP altitude setting in SID departure

Hi!

Let's say that i have to follow a SID procedure with an ''at'' altitude constraint at 3000 ft and

ATC  gives clearance   to climb to 5000ft via the SID (without cancelling the 3000 ft altitude restriction).

What are the correct actions with VNAV selected  :

1) set the final altitude (5000ft) in the MCP and watch carefully if VNAV will  satisfy the 3000 ft altitude restricition. Or

2)   set the First altitude constraint in the MCP window, and after the restriction  set the altitude to  5000ft. In that case i have to remember

what was the ATC clearance altitude (which can be tricky with mutliple intermediate constraints).

The FCTM states :

All hard altitude climb restricitions should be set in the MCP altitude window including ''at or below'' constraints. The next altitude may be set

when the restriction  has benn satisfied, or further clearance has been received. This procedure provides altitude alerting and assures compliance with altitude clearance limit.

Can someone explain this to me, according to the above mentioned example?

Thanks

Gerasimos Stamatatos

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

or further clearance has been received.

You have been cleared to 5000'. I would set 5000 in the MCP. VNAV will take care of 3000' restriction. You have complied with what's in the FCOM because you have received further clearance.

Can someone explain this to me, according to the above mentioned example?

I'd personally set the 5000' in there, and just monitor it to ensure it meets the 3000' restriction.  Its personal preference though.  Really, you just need to make sure you don't bust either restriction.  However you do that is the "right" way.  There's no right or wrong answer here.

For everyone else's reference, this type of instruction is becoming increasingly common, and is given in the form:

"Climb via the SID, except maintain XXXX."

In cases like this, you follow the SID altitudes, but stop at the "except maintain XXXX" even if there are subsequent altitudes.