Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Networking Problems - Anyone Else?

This is looking like a surpurb piece of software.  Trouble is, I'm having problems networking it.  Had quite a bit of correspondence and testing with Maarten, but we've not been able to sort it, so he suggested I come here too.

All my sharing and permissions are definitely correct, as Maarten verrified, but SLX is only loading the 'Flight' files it finds, but NOT any of the 'Flight Plans' from the very same folder.  Nor does it 'connect' to FSX on the server PC.

Any help from here much appreciated

Win7 x64 FSX on server

Win7 x32 on client

Mmmm....  Should I take it from this that nobody else is having network issues?

Does ANYONE have this running on a client PC?

Hi all,

Can someone please jump in and try to help Phil with his networking problems? Someone who managed to make SLX run from a client machine? I'm busy fixing bugs and making a better networking solution.

thanks, Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Sure Maarten, wil try...

Hey Dougal, Yes, I run SLX on client without a problem.

have you tried using different folder for each and check permissions.

also take ownership of those folders.

http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/24038-ownership_shell_extension

Now open folder properties and go to Security and enable Allow and apply, open again folder properties - Security click on edit and check if permissions are correct.

Install Simconnect in the client.

Check your firewall settings, create a rule if necessary (wasnt needed on my side)

Open SimlauncherX folder right click go to properties and check Run this program as admin.

Before running SLX, check if your server folders are mapped, theres a bug in windows, so occasionally those folders disconnects on reboot. you can find the fix on this post

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/453833-a-great-program-but-i-am-unable-to-network-it/

If you cant still connect, then check your Network settings and router (firewall router might be ploblem too),

Check your Mac address (server) in SLX.

Open Network and Sharing Center: for your Private - current

Change advanced sharing - Turn on Network discovery

Good Luck

Alex

Sure Maarten, wil try...

Thanks a lot, Alex, for jumping in.

The more we, as a 'Simlauncher community', can help each other, the more time Maarten can spend on perfecting Simlauncher.  :good:

Thanks, got more to work with now....  Will go try some of this... Later.....

Hi Alex

Are you suggesting I take ownership of the folders from the client?  If so, I can’t.  TAKEOWNERSHIP will only work on files and folders, NOT drives, which is what they are mapped as.  If you mean at the server, this is already done.

Here is what I’ve got so far, but have not been able to run SLX correctly, OR connect to FSX, from the client....

My server and client have been networked for over 5 years.

Both are running Windows7

Simconnect is installed.

Several other FS software applications installed on the client, that all appear to communicate successfully with FSX.  Some I think through Simconnect, others using WideFS and FSUIPC.

I have the following folders shared and mapped from the server...

EDIT:  UAC and defender are both disabled on both maches

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX                                               mapped on client as: X:\

C:\Users\Dougal\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX                 mapped on client as: Y:\

D:\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files                                    mapped on client as: V:\

Plus others that I don’t use for FSX

Workgroup for both locations match

Each PC can ‘ping’ the other

Each of the mapped locations, can have files read, written or deleted across the network

I’m certain that all my shares and permissions are correct.  If not, I wouldn’t be able to edit or delete from them.

I’m not sure how to set Windows Firewall exceptions, as I’ve never needed to do it before.  I’ll look it up and check though.

My SimlauncherX network settings:

As suggested, I’ve copied ‘SimLauncherX.FSX.sdf’ from server PC (where SLX is also installed and working correctly), to the client:   D:\Documents\SimLauncherX

IP version 4

IP address:          double checked and correct

MAC address:    double checked and correct

Server Port:        500

What happens when I run SLX on client:....

Program launches correctly and appears to load database.

The Flights window is EMPTY and displays:           ‘No Flights Found’

The Flight Plans window is also EMPTY:                  ‘No Flight Plans Found’

However....  If I then Click HOME/SETTINGS and select ‘SAVE’ (with file locations still showing in fields), SLX then displays ‘Processing Simulator Settings’.  The Flights on the server are then found and displayed in the top ‘Flights’ window, but still no Flight Plans are found, even though they are actually in the same server folder!

Nor will SLX manually connect to FSX

The only difference I noticed is the Server Port, I didnt change it and mine is 9017

Thats weird, try to create another folder in root level for those plans, share and map in client.

Ownership is in server not from client.

hope is the port issue, because everything looks fine from what your post.

Good luck

Still no joy:(

Should I maybe change anything in my simconnect.cfg on the client?  Don't want to disturb any other apps that might be using it.

hmm, I didnt change anything or add it to SLX folder.. but it wont hurt if you copy the Simconnect.xml to SLX folder and edit the xml file.

some examples:

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/utilities/simconnect/sample_code/simconnect_xml.html

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Remote_connection

try different ports, those might be used by anything else.

Hi,

SLX doesn't use the simconnect.cfg file on the client, so no need to change anything in this file. The settings in the simconnect.xml file on the server should match the network settings in SLX, that's all. One other thing you can try is to delete the [Documents]\SimLauncherX\SimLauncherX.FSX.Settings.txt file an the [Documents]\SimLauncherX\SimLauncherX.Profiles.xml file. When you start SLX, these files will be recreated and the settings dialog will popup for you to reenter the folder settings again. Also make sure you have the latest version of SLX installed on the client.

thanks, Maarten

After countess port changes, I finally have SLX connecting to FSX on the server PC, but whatever I do, I still can't get SLX to see my flight plans across the network.

Seems so bizarre that the Flights are seen, but not the Flight Plans.  They're in the same folder :huh:

Hi Phil,

Can you send me your [Documents]\SimLauncherX\SimLauncherX.FSX.Settings.txt file, the [Documents\\SimLauncherX\SimLauncherX.Profiles.xml file, the [Documents]\SimLauncherX\SimLauncherX\SimLauncherX.log file and at least one flight plan that does not get loaded?

thanks, Maarten

Hi Phil,

Can you send me your [Documents]\SimLauncherX\SimLauncherX.FSX.Settings.txt file, the [Documents\\SimLauncherX\SimLauncherX.Profiles.xml file, the [Documents]\SimLauncherX\SimLauncherX\SimLauncherX.log file and at least one flight plan that does not get loaded?

thanks, Maarten

Just emailed;-)

Hey Maarten

Whatever you did in the last SLX update has SOLVED my Flight Plan issue;-))))

After installing the last download, all my networked flightplans on the server are available to me.

Happy;-)

Thank you!