Sign in to follow this  
SiriusXAim

Repair FS9

Well, my flight sim 9 somewhat exploded in my face. I don't know why, but a lot of scenery files seems to have been corrupted. The weird things, I haven't installed any addons in weeks.

Maybe a virus, or a glitch I dunno. My computer's been giving me hell, tough I don't care since it will soon be replaced. But anyway.

My FS is dead. I don't want to reinstall EVERYTHING i have, this will take me hours. Is if not days. Are there any way to repair FS9, Even manually since the install program does not let me do anything and the 9.1 patch wont run since it's already installed...

Else I have to go back to All default scenery FSX that runs at whooping 5 to 25fps whereas FS2004 can at least do me a decent 60/30 when all maxed up with payware scenery....

Else it might be bye bye fs for some time...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Can you describe your problem in more detail? CTD? At which point? Freezes? Or "just" not working airports (not displayed, wrongly displayed)?

Best,

Sascha

Hi.

If 'a lot of scenery files... have been corrupted' you probably don't have any choice but to do a clean reinstallation.

If you only need certain stock files then you can get them from the discs without reinstalling: it's just a matter of finding the appropriate cab files on the appropriate disc.

If you do reinstall, give some serious thought to making a complete backup of your FS folders. That way you can do a minimum reinstall of registered stuff and payware and then just drop the backup in on top of it.

Cheers,

D

If you're going to replace your computer you'll have to install FS9 again anyway, so I wouldn't waist much time on this one other than as a learning experience in as much as finding the problem and the solution. FS9 runs primarily on the CPU so if you are having computer problems you'll have FS9 problems as well.

Well, my flight sim 9 somewhat exploded in my face. I don't know why, but a lot of scenery files seems to have been corrupted. The weird things, I haven't installed any addons in weeks.

Error messages? Please describe what happens / or not in more detail. How do you know the scenery files are corrupted? Repairing FS9 is usually possible all you have to know is what needs fixing.

As Sascha requested, please share all the details you can think of about your computer, operating system and FS9 so forth. That will make it much easier to trace down where the problem(s) actually is or are.

In reference to your other post and request for the terrain.dll, you might try uninstalling the FS9 Update to 9.1 that will restore all of the FS9.0 dll files etc. then reapplying the update to FS9.1. The uninstaller is there in your root Flight Simulator 9 folder as well as the file named BACKUP where the update stores everything.

I second what Dave wrote to you about making a backup once you have things fixed.

Regards,

Check your terrain.cfg to see if entries are in a consecutive order. Does it say which scenery files are missing? Check the folders of that scenery to see if the files are missing.

Looks like it. I'll still do the clean reinstall and keep the old files so I can save most of my addons.

Looks like it. I'll still do the clean reinstall and keep the old files so I can save most of my addons.

One last thing you might wish to look at before you reinstall FS9 is the scenery.cfg file in the root folder. Look closely at the numbering, each [Area.nnn] should be in numerical order starting with [Area.001] and ideally the layer number should match. If that text file is corrupted or mis-numbered enough it just might be your problem.

Regards,

One last thing you might wish to look at before you reinstall FS9 is the scenery.cfg file in the root folder

That is what I meant to say, sorry - the terrain.cfg will likely not help you, my bad!