Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

RW crew resource management

Air Kevin? Oh snap. I remember you from the old FS2002.COM forums back in 2002'. I think my username was AirForceOne back then.

Good times.

That would be ages ago, so I really don't remember too much of what happened back then, although that would have been 2003, as I didn't have FS2002 until the beginning of 2003. Still around, though I hardly have time to fly anymore, given my job out here.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

The seat is not the absolute governing factor, although the only exception I can think of would be a line qualification for a new Captain.  In that event, the check airman (always a Captain at my alma mater) is in command, of course, since the "Captain" in the left seat, while type rated, has not completed the IOE required under the regs. 

In actual practice at most airlines that use a bidding system based upon seniority (which is just about all US airlines, at any rate) the crew positions are bid positions.  The PIC is the Captain who was awarded the Captain bid for that trip that month.  There are instances, usually at the beginning of a downturn/furlough cycle, when a qualified and current Captain can no longer hold a Captain bid and must revert to holding an FO bid.  In this relatively rare circumstance you might find two qualified and current (on the equipment) Captains flying together.  The PIC is the one who was awarded the Captain bid for that trip.  The other fellow is the FO and is paid as an FO unless some other section of the contract is in play, such as pay protection.  (The sections of contracts governing pay can be mind bogglingly complicated!  It took a school several weeks long to train new crew schedulers about the pay and credit sections of the pilot agreement.  Most pilots are not intimately familiar with all of the provisions!)

At my alama mater, the PIC was also indicated on the flight plan.  FAA regs require this - all flight plans, even a VFR plan for a Cessna, require the name of the PIC.