Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

P3D 2.4 not letting me complete airliner flights

I will share my recent tests and results. Did a complete windows install over the last few days due to some bugs. Re-installed FSX on my windows SSD, and bought a second SSD just for P3D which I re-installed. Re-installed all my add-ons and just finished my first test flight from PSP to LAX default airport scenery. 

I have FTX Global, REX textures (clouds set to lowest resolution and DX5), ASN (it was a clear night during the flight).

Once I got down to 5,000 AGL on approach to LAX I started getting the warning chimes from FSUIPC, didn't crash but I can tell I barely made it. I'm using 2048 textures and dense settings on scenery.

My system is a i7 4790k with a 2gb GTX770 and 8GB RAM

Can you share a link to the website you're referring to for settings?

Lee

I was interested to see how you made out. I am having similar issues.

Mark

I am making some progress. By lowering ai to 20% and pulling a few of my graphics sliders to the left, not checking HDR lighting and using only minimal lighting effects, I am beginning to see a little headroom. I still have a ways to go. When I fly between two major scenery addon airports about 300 miles apart, I can manage with almost 500,000 mb to 1 GB of remaining VAS. I am using FSUIPC to monitor that for me. The same flight on FSX DX10 will net me a ton more of VAS like 2-4 GB. I think when P3D decides to go 64 bit, that will be the best. I am still working on it. I use the Airbus Extended on those longer flights. I'm finding FSX DX10 with Steve's fixer a delight for now, while I tune P3D. BTW, I dumped the REX textures and went back to the default P3D clouds and water as suggested by Rob Ainscough. It seems to help a little.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I've done a comparison of FSX Sp2 and P3D2.3, with the Maule in the middle of the ocean, no autogen, no AI, no weather. P3D uses 500Mb more than FSX, right from the start.

I prefer P3D to FSX, but can't afford to pay that VAS premium for tubeliner flights between big airports, so I confine my P3D flights to GA VFR, in the hope and expectation that the LM team will get round to sorting the problem in the meantime. Right now, I would say that effective virtual storage allocation and reclamation would be a better investment than going to 64 bit. When your plane leaves that airport, why hang on to all that stored data that you last used 30 minutes ago?

Petraeus

I am following this thread with great interest as I have a ton of payware airports loaded into P3D.

One thought that I have had long before this is that it might be more interesting and fun to just set up the actual approaches to airport X in P3D than to continue to wrestle with making the whole flight. I admit it is a bit of a leap to assume that even THAT will be possible in P3D, in some of the more sophisticated aircraft, but it is something that I am looking into.

For me it is not a huge tradeoff because I was never really all that intersted in making a 3-4 our flight anyway. I like a one hour flight. So maybe I spent one hour taking off and climbing out, which is fun, and then I save it and move my plane along my flight plan to the approach point and fly it a bit, adjust my fuel load (to allow for the transit porion of the flight I have skipped), get my IFR comms re-established with ATC and SAVE that whole situation for another day.

None of this was meant to hijack your thread -- I am looking for ways to improve my VAS usage as well.

So what happens then, Lee, when I untick HDR lighting? I also run FTX Global, ORBX everything, and REX textures.... will that seriously impare my night lighting visual experience?

Other things that have been suggested, in another thread in this forum, were to remove VSYNC (trying that now) and get rid of ground shadows for everything but the user simobject (this I think has begun to pay dividends).

I haven't tried the Vsync fix, it will be interesting to experiment with that. I think not using HDR is a slight FPS bonus, how it works with VAS I am not sure. It helps a little to try the suggestion made on these forums, to open P3D, set up everything with your default plane, route, weather the works, save a mode then exit P3D. Then just double click that saved mode and come directly into that set up and then load the plane you are going to use and off you go. This was suggested for longer flights. GA stuff is fine, you don't have to do that. I agree, at the moment I do GA in P3D and longer airliner hops in FSX DX10.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Then just double click that saved mode and come directly into that set up and then load the plane you are going to use and off you go.

If you want to maximize VAS, I would make a slight adjustment to your process ... save the aircraft you are going use also, no need to to "select" the aircraft as the "Select Vehicle" screen has a known and reported issue with memory usage.

Also, I turn OFF the saving of panel states (which means they also don't get loaded) ... this is a setting in Simulation | General and is called Panel Serialization ... this has caused issues for me with some 3rd party aircraft, specifically the more complex tube liners like CS 777, A319, Q400.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob good input, thanks for this -- to clarify:

Is it OK to start with the CREATE SCENARIO screen opening on loading?

I do have a flight set up as a saved flight, but the only think I need to change from that point is the time of day. Can I still make that change from the CREATE SCENARIO menu, or even from within the flight (thru the WORLD menu)? Is one method better or worse from a VAS standpoint?

Thank you,

Mark

Also Rob, if I may, should I disable preload in P3d v2.4?

Is it OK to start with the CREATE SCENARIO screen opening on loading?

Interesting, I didn't even know that was an option (learn something new every day) ... I have the Pro Plus dev license and P3D has always gone direct into the sim with F35 sitting at KLFI.  So if your P3D is doing something different, see if you can bypass the Create Scenario screen ... I thought just double click on the .fxml file from Explorer would bring you directly in the sim (on my setup it does).

Here is what I do:

1.  run P3D

2.  move to my desired location

3.  select my aircraft

4.  set the date and time I want to fly

5.  set weather to clear

6.  save the Flight (.fxml)

7.  exit P3D

8.  load my weather engine I plan to use (ASN, FSGRW, OPUS, REX)

9.  open explorer, double click the saved flight file (from step 6) .fxml

10. do the flight

I've had very good success with this process even with CS 777 (which is probably the most complex aircraft I have for P3D).

Just to be clear, I can make P3D OOM just like everyone else if I turn up graphics, textures, and load up vector with everything enabled and load up airports with everything enable ... so I'm NOT suggesting OOMs don't exist, they do, I am however providing a compromise way around the problem in order to have a successful long haul flight in a complex aircraft.

Cheers, Rob.

OK that works. How you save the flight really doesn't matter, just as long as it all gets saved.

So you are able to save time and date for your flight? For some reason I keep getting the same time/date every time I load the sim.

Just to be clear, I can make P3D OOM just like everyone else if I turn up graphics, textures, and load up vector with everything enabled and load up airports with everything enable ... so I'm NOT suggesting OOMs don't exist, they do, I am however providing a compromise way around the problem in order to have a successful long haul flight in a complex aircraft.

Good to know, I just thought you had a super-computer.

So let me them ask this, Rob: do you often 'disable' airport scenery that you are not using for your flight? If so, do you disable ALL airports, or just the ones that are clearly out of the entire region? Looking for some best practices here.

Interesting topic!  and I thought I did something dumb.  I was wondering why FSUIPC was giving me the warning when I took a short flight between FSDT KLAS and KLAX, so one does not have to do a 2-3 hours flight to have this issue.  As I observed the memory size in task manager, the whole memory seems to jump as I approach the airport.  In my case, I disabled ORBX NA region and only use FTX Global/Vector, yet I barely made it.  This is with using no weather injection.  I have not figured out what to do yet until I come across this thread.  I wonder what PMDG is going to recommend for the upcoming 777 P3D edition!  Anyway, I am now back to FSX for the airliners.  I am going to study what Rob and others suggest though, because the P3D environment is just too incredible to not be able to do airliner flights.

Another observation: not only VAS is bigger for airliner flight in P3D V2.4, the framerate also dropped precipitately as well as I approach the airport. A phenomenon I did not see with FSX. 

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Rob: do you often 'disable' airport scenery that you are not using for your flight?

Not usually, the only airport I've disabled is FB's KSFO ... a shame too since it's local for me ... but Orbx NCA, Vector, FS Global Mesh, a good storm or just the usual Fog and FB's KSFO just don't fit in VAS with any complex aircraft.  I'm hoping FB's KSFO V2 will solve that problem and/or provide options to disable airport features.

No harm in disabling any airports you aren't planning to use enroute, but I haven't needed to do it so far (other than FB KSFO).  Oh wait, yes there was one heavy VAS spot where I have four 3rd party airports installed in close vicinity ... CYVR, KORS, CYYJ, CYSE  (along with PNW) ... I did disable the ones I wasn't planning to use in that area.

Cheers, Rob.

Until i read this thread i thought I was the only one that could not complete a flight between klas and ksfo. I have done everything I could in turning down my settings but still no completed flight. I have the usual packages installed, FTX Global, Vector, Global mesh, FSDT KLAX and FB KSFO. I am using P3d weather and NO traffic add ins. I have i7 3750 @ 4.6, Titan gpu, SSD and water cooled system. CS777 and QW146 and the A318-320 drops my system to its knees and i run out memory. In FSX the same flight completes.

Nick Sciortino