Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

Fltplan.com App & FSX

Just exchanged emails with Fltplan.com's customer service about FSX loaded flight plan plotting onto the app and position following on IFR plates and airport diagrams.  Here are their responses:

Can the app plot my loaded FSX flight plan? 

"We do not have a feature like this in our app.  You could go to MAPS -> EDIT and manually enter your route you have in FSX and hit SAVE ROUTE. No you won’t be filing with the FAA.  You can even enter routes in our website and they don’t file with the FAA until you are approved to file and push a button asking us to file the flight."

While I am flying in FSX while using the sectional map in the app and then switch to the appropriate airport approach procedure plate, will the app follow my progress on top of the IFR approach plate also?  How about ground taxiing over the airport diagram?

"Any charts or diagrams that are geo-referenced will show your location.  If a file is geo-referenced you will see a green checkmark indicating it’s downloaded on the right and on the left of the checkmark will be a purple arrow."

I got this to work tonight, though not on the first try, or second try, perhaps it was the third try. I may over the next few days see what I can find out in the way of repeatability, but I will not have a lot of time tomorrow. Below are a photo of my iPad screen and a screen capture from FSX. In the photo of the iPad screen you can see my flight depicted by the green line. It starts near the lower right corner at my departure airport KESN, then tracks through my first few waypoints. You can see my current position depicted as an aircraft icon just left of center on the map.  You can see the list of waypoints on the Avidyne in my FSX screen capture.

I have used Fltplan.com to do my FSX flight planning for the past few years. One step I did not complete tonight was preparing this flight plan at Fltplan.com.  As you can see at the top center of the FltPlan Go app on my iPad, I had not cleared my previous flight's Navlist in the app. So it still shows as KDAB to KESN. Next time I will prep my flight plan at first at Fltplan.com. Then the whole experience will be consistent.

What I did tonight was load FSX, open a saved flight that has my C90B on the ramp at KESN. I then activated a saved flight plan in my RXP GNS430, Next I right-mouse-clicked on the GNS430 FltPlan button, which saved the RXP plan in FSX format to my hard disk. Then I used the FSX Flight Plan option to Load that flight plan into FSX. As I completed that step I told FSX -not- to take me to the departure airport, as I was already at that airport at the parking spot I wanted to start from. Then I started the "FltPlanGo_FSX.EXE program on my computer, and told it to connect to FSX. I then worked in the FltPlan Go app on the iPad until I got the airplane icon on the map at KESN. One step that is necessary is in the iPad app go to the map, then select Options, scroll to the bottom of the options and check the box for FSX. It took some trying to get it to work, and again I am not certain what in those last couple of steps finally got the connection made.

My iPad was not cabled to my PC in any way. How this all works is beyond me. Has to be connecting at FltPlan.Com, bridging from the PltPlanGo_FSX,EXE running on the computer, to the FltPlan Go app on the iPad, which is also connected to FltPlan.

The nice sunset you could see beginning in the screenshot showing the Avidyne was a nice bonus for this flight. So I have posted a bonus screenshot to cap the experience.

OH! An added note. In the apps Maps Options you must also check the box for Breadcrumbs. It is that that provides the green line showing the route as you complete it. If you do not check Breadcrumbs in the app you will only see the airplane icon moving as you fly.  On the apps Map page, you must also select the Layer or Layers you wish, such as Low Enroute (chart).  And, you must also either use the app to download the chart for the layer, or choose to use online maps.

Fltplan%282%29-XL.jpg

Click for larger image

Fltplan%281%29-XL.jpg

Click for larger image.

C90_Sunset%281%29-XL.jpg

Click for larger image

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere