Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Simheaven photoscenery no longer available

What a pity! I really love the photosceneries because I like to fly VFR low & slow. In combination with World2Xplane it looks awesome in my area. I really appreciate Armin's work and am grateful and thankful for his improvements of XP10.

For me Simheavens photosceneries are the most important and most used scenery add-ons for X-Plane 10!

I really hope there will be a solution to have them back!

The solution is G2xpl, create your own. Personally I find the combination of hi-def (ZL18) photoscenery and World2XPlane far surpasses any other setup but I am lucky enough to live somewhere where the available scenery is excellent being perfectly color matched. I fly low and slow in Ireland/UK only to marvel at it and have limited myself to that area so that the scenery can be fit on a 3TB drive. Each to their own.

When I removed it, My frame rate improved dramatically and I was surprised how much the default autogen and textures have improved. Combined with Mesh V3 and Real Terra haze, and I'm a much happier simmer now.

this is weird... I use to have better framerate with photoscenery and I read over there that default textures are lower in FPS because the need of "merging"  them or something like that in order to achieve the complete terrain texture.

Perhaps someone knows about this..

I was downloading lod 18 from bing and it would take 5 mins or more to load a flight from an airport in that area. Fps would drop from 30 or so to about low 20's. Still acceptable, but not as fluid.

I thought it looked great for a while and used it for a year or more. When I removed it, I saw how much better things looked with improvements made to the autogen over the last few updates and combined with real Terra haze and mesh v3, It looks awesome now. I think the higher resolution photos energy uses more vram and might be why in some cases, you might get worse performance. That's just a guess on my part.

Rob

Thanks alpilotx!

and yes... I always got better FPS with photoscenery , except when setting "extreme res" , reaching near VRAM limit...then yes, FPS may be worse than default textures.

For those on this thread who are familiar with G2XPL, I read somewhere a while back that with this program (or was it maybe PhotosceneryX?), you can't fly across tile boundaries. Is this still the case?

For those on this thread who are familiar with G2XPL, I read somewhere a while back that with this program (or was it maybe PhotosceneryX?), you can't fly across tile boundaries. Is this still the case?

No that's not true at all.