Sign in to follow this  
Guest prichards

Horrible Judgement...

Good, then you would probably understand that next time when you go do a BFR or go out and brush up on your skills, your instructor tasks you with a short field landing and you spot the grassy point short of the runway perfectly, fly your approach right on the money at 54kias, chop the power at fifty feet and plunk it perfectly down just a few feet inside the threshold, you would have every reason to walk away pretty happy. Until you get home and go to airliners.net and see that some guy at the fence snapped a picture of your perfect short field landing and wrote the comment "Got a picture of this guy today, didn't look like he was going to make the runway, then his engine cut out up there in the air and he barely made it onto the runway, he's lucky to be alive!"

Jason,Sorry about that. I didn't want to cause any offence. I was just thinking that maybe it was this guy's first attempt at landing a plane himself. I am not a pilot, so I don't know what basic instructions are drilled into trainee pilots from the start. Maybe making sure that you are too high rather than too low is one of them...in which case, I apologise.Chris Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

>Sorry about that. I didn't want to cause any offence. I was just thinking that maybe it was this guy's first attempt at landing a plane himself.No need to apologize, Chris :) No offense taken, either :)It's very possibly it was his first landing, so on that note- congrats on bringing her down in one piece :D :-lol (to the pilot) Take Care,Jason :)

Guest prichards

looks to me like there doing short field practice! I'm doing my PPL and all my training is short field. We use the engine power on a balancing act over the threshold. Its not like a normal approach! You come in slower, round out sooner and use engine power to balance the aircraft just above the stall speed with the nose raised a little. just like in the picture! most people here probably never do real short field landings as there local airport rwys are 2000+ ft. Yes Im a student thats just about done my PPL but Ive done lots more shortfield landing then most average GA PPL pilots. Some PPL pilots only every land on gravel or grass once in there life when training! Any pilot can land on a nice long concrete rwy! Your true skills are put to the test in short field! Add some Xwind and your really tested .Ive probably done more then 150. Where I train the rwy is only 400m ( 1300 ft ) gravel and grass. I don't call doing a short field approch on a 2000+ Ft concrete rwy a real short filed! Its only a real short field when the airport is a real short strip!