Sign in to follow this  
RW1

WX ASN

Could someone shed some light on how to display the wx radar correctly using ASN and P3d, i cannot see anything in any of the screens, i`m using Berts Mods Version3 without the flight1gns. 

Thanks Rick

tpewpb-6.png

Rick,

I cannot speak for ASN specifically, but I did ask about what others were seeing with the Primus Radar and it seems the same way in FSX and P3D.

SP1 did seem to make a little change in the radar in that you can now see weather a little higher or lower than you, but basically you have to be right on top of the moisture to pickup any returns. REX has a radar output as well and I notice that I cannot see "dry" clouds even if they are depicted in FSX as CBs. However, as I approach weather that REX paints as having rain I start to pickup the weather. I cannot push the radar out to 100 miles, even though the cloud draw distance is set to 100 miles. Maybe FS deals with rain differently than clouds?

I also noticed that you cannot bounce the radar off the ground or pickup ground returns. One flight prior to SP1 I swore I was painting the rockies, but I may have just been in weather that was approximating the mountains. Since then I have tried to paint the ground and have not been able to repeat that finding.

Overall I'd say the usefulness of the radar weather is marginal, being better than not having one at all. The radar works despite the settings on the Radar Control panel, it cannot pickup ground clutter and you have to be right on top of returns to pick them up. 20nm seems to be the magic number, but I am still trying to experiment. However, at 20nm in real life I am already executing a maneuver to avoid weather. If I can't see weather 80 miles out, make a plan at 40 miles out then the radar is only a "turn on the fasten seatbelts sign" device.

The good news is when I painted amber and red returns I was greeted with moderate turbulence also injected by REX if I flew right on in. (Note this was for testing only and believe me I know better than to fly right into a red return.)

Ken thank you very much, i am quite disappointed again in the way Carrenado again have failed to give attention to detail on systems, especially when we all have paid top $ for the end result, 1 consolation is Berts outstanding mods he has kindly provided us, makes this almost 100% enjoyment for me regarding the flight envelope. I will now save for the GTN  750.

Rick

tpewpb-6.png

Try not to let the this doesn't work feature get you down. This is still an excellent aircraft, beautiful textures, great FDE, etc. I'm not sure I'd classify it as top dollar. Lots of products going for almost twice what you pay and you are getting FSX and P3D in one package.

I tend to have a critical eye on systems, I am a professional instructor. But, the enjoyment factor is here in this aircraft.

I suspect the review will shed more light on this product so you may want to wait for that.

Could someone shed some light on how to display the wx radar correctly using ASN and P3d, i cannot see anything in any of the screens, i`m using Berts Mods Version3 without the flight1gns. 

Thanks Rick

I have the same combination and am unable to make this work at all.  I have opened a support request with Carenado.

I'm not sure I'd classify it as top dollar

With our exchange rate its only $10 cheaper than the PMDG T7

Rick

tpewpb-6.png

Default weather radars will not pick up ASN weather due to the way weather is injected.

There are a few ASN weather radar gauges that you can install to show ASN weather.

It also doesn't work with P3D and default weather themes set and ASN turned off.  The issue seems to be P3D related and not really ASN related.

Just got this update to the DLL.XML file from Carenado support.  Make sure you have the following entry in there.

<Launch.Addon>
      <Name>CMeteoXml</Name>
      <Disabled>False</Disabled>
      <Path>.\CMeteoXml.dll</Path>
   </Launch.Addon>

That solved it for me.

Just got this update to the DLL.XML file from Carenado support.

I gave it a try but it seems to stop ASN from working.

tpewpb-6.png