Sign in to follow this  
abh_jc_03

understanding cloud thickness

I am wondering if anybody has Active Sky Next and can help me.  I posted in their forum already and have heard nothing back. 

I read through the manual and find nothing really about how cloud thickness works.  Is the higher the number, less visibility or vice versa?  Can anybody help me with the difference in clouds 1/1 up to 8/8.  Thanks.

Josh Scholl

Well, there's no thickness option exactly but there is a cloud layers option. More layers will make the clouds look more ominous and complex, at the cost of fps. This slider will change performance drastically. Default of 5 imo is plenty, I usually bump it down to 4. Sometimes you will notice hardly any difference when adding layers. I would keep it as low as you can be happy with.

BKN coverage refers to broken overcast coverage, 1/8 through 7/8 designating more or less breaks in the overcast layer respectively. 0=clear, 1/8=few, 3/8=scattered, 5/8=broken, 8/8=full overcast, etc. The option "force BKN to 7/8ths" will force any broken cloud coverage of less than 7/8 to the max of 7/8 in order to create an overcast layer with denser coverage. This is an aesthetic option which can also make flying more challenging, but it also effects the realism of weather depiction because it can override and conflict with the actual wx report. Hope that helps. 

It's actually under manual weather. If you edit cloud details it has cloud thickness in feet.

Josh Scholl

Ah, never messed with manual mode. I leave it up to nature to decide. I don't have her creativity.

Hopefully some else can help you out.

I posted in their forum already and have heard nothing back.

This is not their official forum. They have no forum.  It's an unofficial forum as they are no longer providing any assistance via any support forum.  Only via the ticket system on the HiFi Website.  They do respond to some posts occasionally though but expect help and assistance only from your fellow members here.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

This is not their official forum. They have no forum.

Well, just as a point of order, they do have their own forums. I can't speak to whether or not they will provide any direct assistance via that channel or if they'll require a ticket to be opened. That said,  Damian does participate in some of the conversations over there...

I stand corrected.  Forgot about that forum.  AVSIM use to host their official forums and when they left, we turned the official forum into an unofficial one.  I still believe they only provide support through their trouble ticket system but not really positive about that.  Thanks for the correction.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10