Sign in to follow this  
spearmint_flyer

Vatsims code of conduct - need some clarification

I would just forget about it.  Like others have said, maybe the controller was having a bad night.  I keep reading about all these horrible experiences on VATSIM recently and can honestly say I must be the lucky one.  Out of more than 3000 hours flown on the network, I rarely have any issues and usually receive great service.  Don't let one bad night ruin a good thing for you. 

System: P3D v5.3HF2 , Intel i9-9900K o/c to 5.1Ghz, Nvidia ASUSGeForce RTX RTX 3090 24GB,  MPG Z390 Gamng Edge mobo, 64Gb G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit

In Vatsim, as in any other endeavor, some take themselves a little too seriously, but as a whole, Vatsim is a great way to enjoy simming.  I've been on Vatsim and it's predecessor for many years now.

Jeff Callender

Jeff Callender

There are just as many people like that here on the AVSIM and most everywhere else, we'll never escape them.  Just take a deep breath and move on with the realization that most people have tunnel vision rather than the big picture they often think they have, and we all have to deal with such people from time to time.  Acknowledge with a smile (that they don't REALLY get it), and move on.  I usually fly shared cockpit, and having an errant controller leads to some good, entertaining discussion and since we publicize the stream to controllers they often watch us... and we usually get an apology from them when they're not on the ball or overly assertive. 

I only fly VATSIM, usually only the big events these days unless I'm testing.  It's worth it.  Don't let one person sway you from the best of the services.

Best wishes and happier flights.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Many controllers in VATSIM think that they are god and all pilots are inferior to them. The reality is, pilots can fly without ATC but ATC can't do anything with pilots. :Tounge:

Many controllers in VATSIM think that they are god and all pilots are inferior to them. The reality is, pilots can fly without ATC but ATC can't do anything with pilots. :Tounge:

My experience over the past 10+ years and several thousand hours each in Europe and U.S. airspace has been quite the opposite.  Sure, I've had controllers make mistakes every once in a while, but their people and just like the rest of us they make mistakes from time to time. Mistakes by pilots and controllers happen real world too, so from this perspective this is also a lean towards realism.

Controllers spend a great amount of time learning the real world rules and regulations and take written and practical exams and so they can apply the to the simulation.  I don't know many pilots on VATSIM who put that amount of time into learning all the procedures for their aircraft, and I can say without reservation that 90%+ mistakes made on the network are made by pilots.

Yes, I'll admit that a few times (maybe 5 in 520+ weeks (10+years) I've had a controller and once even a Supervisor who was not only wrong, they we arrogant and condescending.  But if I were to visit 520 stores I'd find far more than 5 clerks who would have the same attitude towards customers. What I'm saying is that controllers are people too, and we have to learn to get along with all types.  Listen to LiveATC and you'll find the same attitude by some controllers, especially at Kennedy International.

Finally, let us remember that logging into VATSIM costs absolutely nothing, and it's still the finest ATC service covering different continents. Oh, and I'll share something about flights.... I look at routine flights as a way for pilots and controllers to improve their skills and prepare for Events.  Nobody does events better than VATSIM, and that's why all my flights (even late stages Beta Testing) is done on their network.

My best wishes for happy flights.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

My experience over the past 10+ years and several thousand hours each in Europe and U.S. airspace has been quite the opposite.  Sure, I've had controllers make mistakes every once in a while, but their people and just like the rest of us they make mistakes from time to time. Mistakes by pilots and controllers happen real world too, so from this perspective this is also a lean towards realism.

Controllers spend a great amount of time learning the real world rules and regulations and take written and practical exams and so they can apply the to the simulation.  I don't know many pilots on VATSIM who put that amount of time into learning all the procedures for their aircraft, and I can say without reservation that 90%+ mistakes made on the network are made by pilots.

Yes, I'll admit that a few times (maybe 5 in 520+ weeks (10+years) I've had a controller and once even a Supervisor who was not only wrong, they we arrogant and condescending.  But if I were to visit 520 stores I'd find far more than 5 clerks who would have the same attitude towards customers. What I'm saying is that controllers are people too, and we have to learn to get along with all types.  Listen to LiveATC and you'll find the same attitude by some controllers, especially at Kennedy International.

Finally, let us remember that logging into VATSIM costs absolutely nothing, and it's still the finest ATC service covering different continents. Oh, and I'll share something about flights.... I look at routine flights as a way for pilots and controllers to improve their skills and prepare for Events.  Nobody does events better than VATSIM, and that's why all my flights (even late stages Beta Testing) is done on their network.

My best wishes for happy flights.

I was not saying that none of the ATC in VATSIM is good. What I meant was ATC is in no way superior to pilots so they shouldn't act or talk like that. For ATCs who don't act like this it's fine; for ATCs who do act like this they need to have their mindset corrected.