Sign in to follow this  
mas618

Will my i5 2500K@4.3 Ghz be a bottleneck with a gtx 970 4GB in P3D v. 2.4?

This is a complety true. I just tested FSX and XP10 with a new gtx 970.

GTX 970 only improve XP10 performance. Looks great.

My settings in XP10:

777_v10_1.png

I have same results in FSX (ATI5870 and GTX970), blaaahhh!!!

What were you coming from - what gpu were you running on fsx before?

Mas

I have same results in FSX (ATI5870 and GTX970), blaaahhh!!!

I already wrote, I had ATI 5870.

Ivo Crni

I already wrote, I had ATI 5870.

Sorry - missed the point there ;-) don't know ATI cards, so wonder what 5870 is equivalent to in the Nvidia range....?

GTX 970 came in the mail today (along with my 8GB ram  - so I've got 16GB total now)

It's the EVGA GTX 970 SSC - the card is fine, a bit longer than my GTX 570, and uses a 6 + 6+2 power plug config.  My old 570 just had the 6+6 plugs.  It was wrapped up all nice, a few rubber protective covers had to be removed etc.  I basically plugged in the 970, along with my RAM, and PC booted fine.  Installed latest drivers via clean config.  Redid my FSX profile with nvidia inspector - everything appears normal.  There is one thing different - I think because of my choice of monitors I had to use a DVI to HDMI adapter and then for my secondary monitor I'm using a VGA to DVI adapter...  So because of that when the PC boots the POST screen goes on my second monitor.  Maybe I'll get an HDMI cable eventually so I can use the first output on my GPU.  It's really not a biggie, as all games and Win desktop appears normally on my primary monitor.

As far as my predictions...  I'm pretty much right on.

FSX - no significant change - the black VC's last a bit shorter but are still present with HD VC's and scenery, FPS are literally the same.  I haven't done much testing but I think I'm able to crank the AA settings without much penalty compared to my 570.  Maybe OPUS with clouds will do better??

P3D - haven't done much testing yet but initial impressions are its a bit smoother, and slightly higher fps with tons of addons (example flight - LVFR KSNA, Carenado C550, UTX 2 with night lights, OPUS Wx at night).  With default planes and default scenery it's a bit smoother but no real fps difference.  Pretty surprising how CPU bound P3D still is...  sad kinda.

XP10 - HUGE difference here.  Able to run extreme resolution for texture, and many AA options I've cranked just for fun without penalty.  FPS hold around 30 now, with said settings they'd be 3 on my 570..  the RAM also made a difference here as my XP version is x64 so I plan to add the recently released UHD scenery for the western USA cool!  GPU usage way down compared to my 570 and the sim is totally different - so crisp and smooth.

BF4 - haven't tested yet but expecting a major difference as  I had to run medium settings with minimal AA and post processing effects with my 570.

$350 for the GPU with the new ACX2.0 cooler (it was actually their second 2.0 revision I guess...  the first ones were prone to coil whine - I observe none of that)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ryan - thx for getting back - great report! I'll be picking up a used 41" HDTV soon, and I wanted to use that with DSR x2 to alleviate the bigger screen. However, your findings with the 970 has me thinking if I should save up a bit and go for the 980..

Oh, and another thing - were you able to preserve your overclock (what was left of it) when changing the RAM (guess you had the same timings on the new ones...?)

Anyways Thx again!

Does anyone run the 970 with FSX-SE in Dx10 (steve fixer) mode?  that one is GPU intensive so should perform very well.

ZORAN

Yeah I literally plugged in my RAM and GPU and OC was there worked great.

What is DSR though?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/87227-dsr-on-a-big-screen-tv-its-like-a-whole-new-world-to-me/

Basically you can have the Nvidia software provide much higher resolution through downsampling at no or little fps cost - allowing you to use less AA.. I run 2xDSR 33% smoothing on the 660ti and it's really great. That's twice the normal 1980x1080 resolution. I've seen people with good monitors run 4xdsr... Very crisp..

You enable DSR through the Nvidia control panel quite easily, but it only works on P3D when run in full screen... After enabling you'll have access to the new resolutions through the fs display menu - easy and no hazzle...

I'm thinking that 2xDSR on a big screen will be equivalent to normal res on my 24" monitor with regards to crisp and pixilation...

Great news on the OC - I'm upgrading my ram as well so I'm hoping to preserve my stable OC...

But would the DSR be of any help on mysmallish 23" monitor? Also I have a second different sized monitor (also a different resolution) Would that work with DSR? Oh and do I require an hdmi cable to use DSR?

For the ram I used XMP profile on my corsair stuff. I think the ram is running a little slower with all four sticks. The ram is rated at 1866mhz but I swear I read 1600mhz in bios last night. Oh well.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

It does on my 24" in that I can dial down on AA and have same quality at no or little fps cost...

I wouldn't now if it can be applied to multimonitor but that should be easy to test out I think....

Just to follow up on the big screen theme; Hooked up a 47" TV from LG and added 4xDSR - WOW!!! Complete immersion and hardly any fps loss - still fluid, even on my 660ti... For fun of it I let p3d rebuild the .cfg, and even though settings were dialed down considerably, the actual visual downgrade was hard to spot - but what a butter-smooth experience! At this level of smoothness I'm ready to accept whatever visual thing p3d took away... And I'm still having VC shadows, cloud shadows at 20K and normal AG...

On another note:

I chatted with my local computer vendor today on buying the 970, and I explained to him that I wanted to preserve my 660ti to run PFD, ND and other things on, while i wanted to use the 970 to display visuals and VC. This was something that I from various posts here and other places thought was totally doable without much hazzle, but obvious I have misunderstood something, because he insisted that the only way to run two GPUs was in SLI... - Is that true!!?? Can't I add a 970 to my mobo while still using the 660ti...??

Thx again

Mas