Sign in to follow this  
Old_As_Dirt

Lateral Field of View

Has anyone else seen their Lateral Field of View adjustments (under Rendering Options)  become locked?  I cannot alter the 80.00 I changed it to many months ago.  And - while on the subject, what setting seems to be the most realistic?

Thanks,

John

John Wingold

I'm not sure why it's locked, I've never seen that one before. Does it matter which aircraft you select? (The carenado ones have a control panel to alter the field of view).

And - while on the subject, what setting seems to be the most realistic?

I think it varies greatly between the different airplanes. I find I'm always having to adjust it per airplane to get the best view (i.e. One which shows the instruments I use). For helicopters, I generally have it at about 7000, and for GA planes, around 8-9000

Thanks Tony,

I use Carenado aircraft almost exclusively (I have bought quite a fleet of them) but thought that the setting in "Rendering Options" was the only one and was universal.  I'll try looking for the control panel, but since I fly almost exclusively GA, it's probably as good as I need.  I've been very satisfied with the 80.00, but it's just one of those little things that bug you once you see it doesn't work.

John

John Wingold

For GA, I'm usually around 80.  It's still a compromise with one monitor. I like seeing a fair amount of the panel, as well as to the sides for some peripheral vision.  In reality, while sitting behind a real panel, I'm mostly looking over the panel, which is closer to the HUD or no panel view. But the eyes (real flight) can take in the forward as well as panel views, as well as some side views,  in a split second.  I don't find just seeing the top of the panel as realistic at all, for flight simulation, although it's a more realistic real view.................if that makes any sense.  It just removes too much of the big picture.

I agree LAdamson.  I only have one monitor and it seems to be pretty much what I have seen in the days when I flew (with other piloting) in the right seat.  Not understanding what the dials and controls meant at that time, I spent more time trying to look over the panel as it seemed to be in the way of my view.  Wish I had paid more attention while I had the opportunity.

John

John Wingold

Does it matter which aircraft you select?

Tony,

You are right.  I switched to the default B58 and I can make adjustments.  The V3 Carenados seem not to have the Control Panel FOV as they are probably set the way they think they should look.  I had set the FOV on 80.00 some time ago and just thought something had been changed in the program.

Anyway, that did it and it is fixed - even though it wasn't broken!

John

John Wingold

UPDATE - The reason the default aircraft allowed the change was ------ X-Camera....  It had not been set up on that aircraft.  I went back after setting up X-Camera on that aircraft and it would not change.  I went to another default which had not been set up and it allowed change.  The answer, I think, is that if you have X-Camera (a great program by the way), disable it, make the change, and re-enable it.

John

John Wingold

All the Carenado aircraft panel zoom levels are changed by the slider in the "C" window.

I have not found any lock, but I am setting between 75-80 too. I have 3 carenado planes and none of these are locked. If you are using x-camera you may find the lock in place.

Bob

All the Carenado aircraft panel zoom levels are changed by the slider in the "C" window.

Yes - I know - now, but it too is unusable with X-Camera enabled.  I had not opened the "C" window for some time since TrackIR makes those options unusable.  It seems that when X-Camera is enabled, that feature is locked on whatever it was before enabling X-Camera.  This doesn't take away from X-Camera's usefulness at all.  It is just something that I had not figured out how to correct until Tony's suggestion caused me to open an aircraft that had not been set up with X-Camera.  Even then, it did not occur to me until I went back to the same aircraft, after enabling, and finding it would not move.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help.

John

John Wingold

Sorry I wasn't of more help.  I don't use X-Camera or TrackIR.

John,

Per our discussion on X-Plane.org I'll look into that with X-Camera. I didn't intend to make it work that way unless you override the FOV in X-Camera for the camera definition. I suspect I'm always forcing it to whatever it was set to when X-Camera is enabled, that is why you can't change while X-Camera is enabled for an aircraft. I'm pretty sure I can fix this easily. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Mark