Sign in to follow this  
planenut

Glide Slope Warning

Was doing an ILS approach into PANC (Anchorage) and whereas I had picked up the localizer I had yet to capture the glide slope and was coming in below it.

Up until the point where I picked up the GS, I kept getting a "Glide Slope" audible warning repeating over and over.  Is there any way to silence this warning as it is pretty annoying.

Jim

The alarm in the real aircraft can be silenced by pressing the G/S button that is probably lit during the alarm. Don't know if it is modeled in the sim, haven't tried it.

Carenado, unfortunately sounds this alarm whether you are above or below the glideslope.

You can change this by editing the Gauge_Update_dig.xml file in the GaugeC2 folder:

<!-- remove glideslope warning when below -->

(A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool) (A:HSI GSI NEEDLE VALID, BOOL) (A:HSI GSI needle, number) -60 < and and (A:SIM ON GROUND,bool) 0 == and

..changed from "abs 60 >"

..or request my latest mods.

^_^

Bert

Bert,

If should sound when below as that is the more critical situation. i.e. too far below GS when close to the airport.

Mode 5 provides two levels of alerting for when the aircraft descends below glideslope, resulting in activation of EGPWS alert lights and aural messages.

The first level alert occurs when below 1000 feet Radio Altitude and the aircraft is 1.3 dots or greater below the beam. This turns on alert lights and is called a “soft” alert because the audio message “ GLIDESLOPE” is enunciated at half volume. Twenty percent increases in the glideslope deviation cause additional “GLIDESLOPE” messages to be enunciated. The second level alert occurs when below 300 feet Radio Altitude with 2 dots or greater glideslope deviation. This is called a “hard” alert because a louder “GLIDESLOPE, GLIDESLOPE” message is enunciated every 4  seconds continuing until the “hard” envelope is exited. The alert lights remain on until a glideslope deviation less than 1.3 dots is achieved. To avoid unwanted Below Glideslope alerts when capturing the localizer between 500 and 1000 feet AGL, alerting is varied in the following ways:

• Below Glideslope alerts are enabled only if;
• Localizer is within ± 2 dots, if available
• Landing gear and flaps are selected,
• Glideslope Cancel is not active,
• A front course approach is determined

The upper altitude limit for the alert is modulated with vertical speed. For descent rates above 500 FPM, the upper limit is set to the normal 1000 feet AGL. For descent rates lower than 500 FPM, the upper limit is desensitized (reduced) to a minimum of 500 feet AGL. Additionally, both alert levels are desensitized below 150 feet AGL, to allow for normal beam variations nearer the ground, and reduce the possibility of nuisance alerts.
Mode 5 alerts can be canceled by pressing the Glideslope Cancel switch (if installed, usually part of the “Below Glideslope” or amber "GPWS" annunciator) any time below 2000 feet AGL. This is automatically reset when the aircraft descends below 30 feet or climbs above 2000 feet AGL.
Note:
Glideslope Cancel can not be deselected (reset) by again pressing the Glideslope Cancel switch.
EGPWS Mode 5 alerts may be inhibited during backcourse approaches to prevent nuisance alerts due to false fly up lobes from the Glideslope. The EGPWS determines a backcourse approach if a glideslope inhibit discrete is set.

OK, I'll re-enable the over and under alert, but only below 1000 feet radio altitude (currently at 1800).

Thanks, Ken!

Bert

Bert,

Usually being too high (above) Glideslope should not trigger an alert. These are terrain based alerts and being too high will not cause a EGPWS or TAWS alert.

Glide slope warnings should never go off when you are 10 miles out and tune in the ILS! NEVER! When being vectored to the LOC , the constant warning is useless. You are always vectored to a point outside OM at an altitude below the GS but above the MVA. This way you are in a position to intercept while in a stable flight configuration.  Once you intercept the GS or inside the final approach fix  the warning should alert you of any deviations both above and below the GS. At that point, the pilot is concentrating on flying the AC and looking for the lights.

I7 7700K  4.4GHz | GTX 1080  | Samsung 28" 4k Monitor | Maximus IX Hero MB | Samsung M.2  SSD 500GB X2 | Corsair H110i | 32GB DDR4 3600 | Windows 10 | FSX Accel | Eclipse Yoke | CH Throttle Quad |  Saitek Pedals