Sign in to follow this  
RockOla

Carrier operations in the Mediterranean

Hi all

Yesterday, all my trouble seemed so far away, having installed P3D 2.5, I decided to try aicarrier2 + Charles de Gaulle Carrier + RFN Gauge (for working carrier ILS and FLOLS, TACAN, catapulting etc)

And I was very pleased to note that everything is perfectly working. Just a little quirk : when the carrier is moving, the lights of the Pedro helicopter remains fixed in the air and repeats every n seconds creating a kind of "offset ALS"

So my first 2.5 carrier flight was a simple circuit.

Positionned on the forward-right catapult, steam coming from the CATOBAR

imagem01.jpg

Green flag ! Full afterburner take-off

imagem02.jpg

Positive rate, gear up and quickly shutting down the afterburner

imagem03.jpg

And after less than 2 minutes, base leg, hook and gear down

imagem05.jpg

The approach speed is maintained at 120 kts. At this speed, the angle of attack so high you have limited visibility to the meatball

imagem06.jpg

Too high, the hook won't meet any cable this time. Security > shame, wave off. Glass half-full : this will be a chance to grab more screenshots !

imagem07.jpg

imagem08.jpg

imagem09.jpg

imagem10.jpg

The second pass is not perfect but OK. The wind suddenly reinforced and that's now a solid 18kts 30° left-front wind. Caught the 2nd cable, safely stopped.

imagem11.jpg

imagem12.jpg

While rolling to the elevator and shutting down the engines, clouds are gathering. Time to take shelter.

imagem13.jpg

This is something I've been toying with wanting to try. Absolutely fab sequence of shots.

Q.

(a)which/whose aircraft is that?

(b) where did you get that aicarrier2 + Charles de Gaulle Carrier + RFN Gauge (for working carrier ILS and FLOLS, TACAN, catapulting etc)?

Rick, thanks for taking the time to comment.

Installing and operating carriers is not that difficult.

Here is what I did :

1- Downloads

- grab the Rafale by Thor http://www.frenchairforce.fr/news.php (but the website is often down, due to hackers thinking it's the official French Air Force website...). You have to download the 2.1 aircraft package and the 2.2 patch.

- download the Charles de Gaulle carrier here (RFN PAN 1.0) http://royalefrenchnavy.perso.sfr.fr/RFN-Creations.htm

- download the RFN Gauge (4.1) here http://royalefrenchnavy.perso.sfr.fr/RFN-Creations.htm#Gau

- download AiCarriers 2r2 here http://royalefrenchnavy.perso.sfr.fr/NavalOps/AICarriers2r2.zip

2- Installation

- unpack the Rafale as any other aircraft. Replace the panel with a simple one (to begin). The C172 for example

- install AiCarrier

- install the CDG carrier

- add the reference to the CDG in the aicarriers.cfg (this is explained in detail in the CDG documentation)

- add the RFN gauge to the Rafale panel (also explained in the gauge's doc)

And you're good to go !

While in flight, shift+J opens the AiCarrier window. Then you can spawn any installed ship and start flying.

A great big Thank You for all those links. Most helpful.

Will download and give it a go( I can only land in the drink if I miss the deck, so a softer crash!!!)