Sign in to follow this  
Wing

19m vs 10m Mesh: Help Me Decide

I want to get a mesh product for FSX:SE and I'm debating between FSGenesis's 19m North America product and their 10m United States product. Am I going to see much of a difference between 19m and 10m? Is there a notable performance hit between 19m and 10m? Finally, would the "airport on a hill syndrome" (not sure if it has an official name--I'm talking about when the airport elevation doesn't match with the surrounding mesh so it looks like it's at the top of a cliff) that seems to be a side effect of third-party mesh be less pronouced with 10m mesh vs. 19m?

Google didn't really give me an answer for any of these questions.

EDIT: I thought of another question. If I get 10m terrain and it causes performance problems, can I set the mesh resolution to 19m in FSX and get the same performance and visuals as if I had bought 19m mesh in the first place? (Which I know would make buying 10m terrain a waste but at least it would allow me an "out" if I'm not happy with the performance of the full 10m resolution.)

visually the difference between 19 and 10 is pretty subtle. for large portions of the usa it's probably impossible to notice the change....performance depends on your system but there will likely be a small difference, it's difficult to predict if it's 'notable' tho.

the airport elevation thing doesn't really happen much anymore, at least the last version of fsg mesh i had included elevation corrections for airports so the plateaus were never really an issue. it's possible there's an obscure strip somewhere with that but i think they had fixed most or all of them, i know personally i hadn't really seen it in years in their usa areas.  i think for the most part those problems are a legacy issue from the early days back in the 2006-2008 era. possibly still some in regions like eastern europe or asia.  a competing mesh product, the pilots ftx mesh includes a utility that also deals with fixing those when you add payware sceneries etc. it might also be worth a look if you are still deciding.

anyway good luck

cheers

-andy crosby

Andy: Thanks for the info. I took a closer look at the FSGenesis pages for the two products (North American and United States) and it looks like they specifically address the airport plateaus issue in the product description for the 10m USA product. They don't do that for the 19m NA product so I don't know if it means they haven't adjusted the airports or they just left that out of the description. I think I'm going to go with the USA product. Most of my flying is SEL VFR so the plateaus do make a difference to me and I would like to avoid them if at all possible.

Hi,

Check out screenshots in this review:

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0411/Pilots/FSG.html

In example, Matterhorn (Switzerland):

Real picture:

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0411/Pilots/pic_01_06.jpg

(LOD11 Source 19m)

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0411/Pilots/pic_01_04.jpg

(LOD13, Source 5m)

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0411/Pilots/pic_01_05.jpg

Please mind, that you won't see that much of difference for flatter regions.

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

I just hope you're not going to use it to fly tubeliners :)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...