Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Too Many Addons?

PS you have been a member only a little under three months
longer than me. ;-)

And you have just 176 posts? Shame on you! LOL :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

So,

I watched the video about SIMStarter, and if my interpretation is correct, you can set up multiple profiles for FSX to suit either VFR or IFR type flights, I understand that. As well as this, you can "hangar" aircraft that you may not necessarily use for a type of flight. So in VFR, I could hangar my BaE146 and all variations to improve performance, is this correct?

Also, if I fly from say, England to Germany, I can also exclude scenery such as Scandinavia, to once again improve performance?

Please advise if this is the case, and I will probably download today.

Thanks again,

Andrew.

So,

I watched the video about SIMStarter, and if my interpretation is correct, you can set up multiple profiles for FSX to suit either VFR or IFR type flights, I understand that. As well as this, you can "hangar" aircraft that you may not necessarily use for a type of flight. So in VFR, I could hangar my BaE146 and all variations to improve performance, is this correct?

Also, if I fly from say, England to Germany, I can also exclude scenery such as Scandinavia, to once again improve performance?

Please advise if this is the case, and I will probably download today.

Thanks again,

Andrew.

How would hangaring (spelling?) flyable aircraft, improve performance? Scenery, yes to a point. 

Most questions about how the program should improve your FSX performance would be better asked of the developer "pero" whose email address is in my previous posts in this section.  But I think you are on the right track.  I also think the initial reason for the design of the program was to make configuration for specific flight parameters easier and only have to be done once inside SimStarter instead of each time we fly having to configure again however the program is growing with abilities with every upgrade.  The side effects I personally have seen on my system is smoother flights, slightly higher frame rates and very much improved sharpness in my scenery visuals especially with photoscenery from Megascenery.  Each persons preferences, system specs. and add-ons installed will affect how this program is perceived to benefit them.  It is best to download, install, learn and determine for yourself the benefits you see on your system.  The only thing you can loose is time.  Anyone can speak generally to questions you have but unless you test it yourself you will never know for sure if it works for you or not.  Had I not seen benefits on my system I would never had posted my conclusions here for everyone to question.  It is like everything else in life, don't take anyone else's experiences as truth, live only your own.  fisheye

PS. It looks like there is at least three of us old timers here since Holland_Holland  joined in. LOL

Hi Fisheye,

Thanks for your explanation. You may be able to add a little more for me regarding what I need to know though. I will try to explain it as best I can.

I'm an IT tech, so as far as I know, I've got my somewhat limited PC tweaked pretty good for FSX. What I do know is that some people set up individual profiles for IFR and for VFR. My original question that Capt Speirs answered was related to me hangaring the aircraft I usually use for VFR, when I'm flying IFR, and whether I can also hangar repaints that I'm not using.

The application looks good to me in the sense that I can disable scenery very quickly that I'm not using. If this is the case, it SHOULD in theory affect the performance of FSX for the better. But yes, I will contact the vendor, but it is also nice to hear others views of a product.

Many thanks once again,

Andrew.

Andrew;  My experience shows me that what ever is active in FSX when you start the program tends take longer to load the first time it is started after a re-boot.  The second time it is loaded it takes less time because the program stores a lot in cache.  This is also why others have been so strong on using SSD drives because of their faster access time in loading FSX and accessing files during flight.  The smaller the active files in the program are trimmed the faster it loads and also the bulk to access during the running of the program is reduced. If you deactivate aircraft then the start time for FSX should improve however my experience shows that it does not improve frame rates unless you have a lot of AI which will slow things down.  However Scenery is a different matter.  Deactivating a substantial amount of unused scenery in a profile will free up the amount of data that FSX has to keep track of.  This does increase the efficiency and smoothness in the flight.  The side effects that I experienced with smoother, a little higher FPS and sharper visuals were not documented by the developer and he says that the program was not designed with this in mind.  My personal thoughts after trying to discover the reason for this positive experience was to look into the fsx.cfg file and see if there was any difference to my original file.  Since SimStarter does not over wright any of the FSX configuration files inside the original installation because it copies those files that you make changes to and saves them inside each profile so each one is different from the other.  What it did do to my original fsx.cfs was to clean up the order for the lines of code and move all files above the "trusted" entries and eliminate all spaces, and changed some of the font sizes.  This may have been the reason that caused my sim to run better but I have not gone back and tested this outside of SimStarter yet.  But the effect is noticed even outside of Simstarter just running FSX the normal way.  Anyway it works for me and I just wanted the community to know what I experienced and make up their own minds.  Hope it works for you half as well as it did for me.  fisheye

Hello Dougal,

I myself do have a lot of addons too; mostly fine Aircraft en a few big Airports as well. I experienced that I have some favorite Aircraft, mostly RealAir, A2A and PMDG and favorite flights. For bush-flying

I love Tongass Fjords together with FSTramp for navigation.

So, in FSX I have configured as standard 10 different flights and the aircraft not in use I copy in a File called: SimObjects AIRPLANES BACK-UP. Every time I want to park an aicraft outside of

MSFSX\SimObjects\Airplanes I move it with Total Commander from Airplanes to AIRPLANES BACK-UP, keeping my FSX clean.

When I want to reuse an aircraft I simply move it back from AIRPLANES BACK-UP to MSFSX\SimObjects\Airplanes; that's it.

In this way FSX starts relatively quick and framerates are good.

Cheers,

Ben

Fisheye;

Once again thanks for all of your help. One thing that I'm happy about is that when I start to create my new profiles (Eg: VFR UK) it will give me the ability to disable IFR traffic but keep VFR traffic. This is awesome. The only thing I do not know (and I will contact the author) is whether I can disable the GSX couatl application when I'm flying GA. After all, how many Cessna's need a pushback?

Many thanks again,

Andrew.