Sign in to follow this  
Flyfox

Tower View

Steve's DX10 Fixer has converted my FSX installation into a refreshed, powerful and definitely more pleasant simulation platform, in spite of my meanwhile outdated hardware. And I particularly enjoy cockpit shadows, which I keep enabled with all not too FPS-demanding aircraft. However, this has a negative effect on the tower view. Tower view shows strange shadows all over the aircraft. Somehow parts of the aircraft structure seem to be transparent and thus lead to shadows where there shouldn't be any shadows.

Did anybody observe the same effect? I know this is a minor thing and the tower view has certainly no priority for most simmers. Still, it would be nice to have this view to appear correctly, when "aircraft casts shadows on itself" is ticked. Watching the aircraft touching down via FS Recorder is always quite pleasant. Who knows a solution?

Felix

I have no legacy option ticked. My fixer version is 2.7 Build 67.

Felix

I see that the zoom your were using was 90x. Experimenting its true in DX9 and DX10 with or without the fixer that at high zooms the shadow calculations go awry. I therefore don't believe that this is fixable. I suspect its just that the zoomed view doesn't provide sufficient depth resolution for the shadow calculation to work properly.

Update: after some more tests I think its the distance that is more significant not the zoom - keep monitoring this thread - I will see if anything can be done.