Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

Further tutorial #2 question

I have problems with what is stated on page 118,namely Press DEP ARR and select LOWI ARRIVALS page.

Select Runway 08. I assume they mean rwy 08 and not RNVY,RNVZ.

I then select rwy 08.

According to the tutorial I have to press LSK 3L to copy RW08 and then press LSK 1L to enter a direct to.

And here is my problem: Pressing LSK 3L indicates a Star,called Elme1A.

What did I do wrong ? What was I supposed to do ?

By the way : I am soon coming to a point where I give up.

HubertWerni

NB: With tutorial #1 I had no problems.

• Upvote 1

Herbert Werni

By the way : I am soon coming to a point where I give up.

Hubert,

This is a study sim. It's going to take work; it's going to take concentration; and it's going to take slowing down and coming to grips with things over time.

Nobody learns how to fly a plane in a day, regardless of what people here might think. It takes several years to get onto the flight deck of the plane that's simulated in your sim, so to expect that you're just going to "get it" by running at full pace through the tutorials is only going to get you disappointed. I get that you're probably in a rush to learn everything in the shortest amount of time, but, from your posts here, it seems you really need to slow down. Have a look at the intro manual, and slow down and read the tutorial through before flying it. It's these minor details that seem to be tripping you up, and the only reason they'd by tripping you up is if you're breezing over them.

Take a deep breath. Read through things fully. Try, and then try again if something seems off. Again, though: the things that are tripping you up are generally all covered in the manuals. I'd imagine you'd be a lot less frustrated if you simply forced yourself to pay a little more attention when reading through the documents. I get it. Reading is terribly boring, particularly when reading dry manuals and tutorials, but this isn't your average flight sim add-on. It's going to take some work.

I then select rwy 08.

According to the tutorial I have to press LSK 3L to copy RW08 and then press LSK 1L to enter a direct to.

And here is my problem: Pressing LSK 3L indicates a Star,called Elme1A.

What did I do wrong ? What was I supposed to do ?

You're skipping over a step:

• Press DEP ARR and select the LOWI ARRIVALS page.
    • Select Runway 08, which clears out the LOC/DME EAST procedure. We’re doing this because we don’t want the missed approach procedure for runway 26 to be in the FMC in the event of a go-around. This isn’t entirely realistic, but the Navigraph navdata does not contain a procedure for the circle to land’s missed approach.
    • Press the LEGS button to return to the LEGS page, where we'll set up a direct to intercept course for the extended centerline.
    • Press LSK 3L to copy RW08 and then press LSK 1L to enter a direct to. Then enter the extended runway centerline course, 079 into the LSK 6R INTC CRS field.

Kyle Rodgers

Hubert,

This is a study sim. It's going to take work; it's going to take concentration; and it's going to take slowing down and coming to grips with things over time.

Nobody learns how to fly a plane in a day, regardless of what people here might think. It takes several years to get onto the flight deck of the plane that's simulated in your sim, so to expect that you're just going to "get it" by running at full pace through the tutorials is only going to get you disappointed. I get that you're probably in a rush to learn everything in the shortest amount of time, but, from your posts here, it seems you really need to slow down. Have a look at the intro manual, and slow down and read the tutorial through before flying it. It's these minor details that seem to be tripping you up, and the only reason they'd by tripping you up is if you're breezing over them.

Take a deep breath. Read through things fully. Try, and then try again if something seems off. Again, though: the things that are tripping you up are generally all covered in the manuals. I'd imagine you'd be a lot less frustrated if you simply forced yourself to pay a little more attention when reading through the documents. I get it. Reading is terribly boring, particularly when reading dry manuals and tutorials, but this isn't your average flight sim add-on. It's going to take some work.

You're skipping over a step:

• Select Runway 08, which clears out the LOC/DME EAST procedure. We’re doing this because we don’t want the missed approach procedure for runway 26 to be in the FMC in the event of a go-around. This isn’t entirely realistic, but the Navigraph navdata does not contain a procedure for the circle to land’s missed approach.
    • Press the LEGS button to return to the LEGS page, where we'll set up a direct to intercept course for the extended centerline.
    • Press LSK 3L to copy RW08 and then press LSK 1L to enter a direct to. Then enter the extended runway centerline course, 079 into the LSK 6R INTC CRS field.

Do you have the PMDG-737 NGX and the tutorial #2 ? If so,can I ask you to load "Before approach" and then

proceed with press DEP ARR,select LOWI ARRIVALS page etc as stated on page 118 of the tutorial.

I hope not to ask too much but would be interested to know what you get.

Thanks

HubertWerni

• Upvote 1

Herbert Werni

Do you have the PMDG-737 NGX and the tutorial #2 ? If so,can I ask you to load "Before approach" and then
proceed with press DEP ARR,select LOWI ARRIVALS page etc as stated on page 118 of the tutorial.

I do have the NGX, and therefore Tutorial 2. At the very beginning of the tutorial, it discusses the fact that it was written for nav data in 2011, and that nav data changes. As such, it's imperative to use your best judgment with the current data, to match it back to the intent of Tutorial 2.

Select RWY08 on the DEP ARR page.

Go to the LEGS page. Find RWY08 in the LEGS and continue with what the tutorial instructs.

Kyle Rodgers

I think he's using the old manual. The newer manual that comes with the steam edition has the LEGS paragraph added to it, which is not available in the pre-steam edition. Probably the latest non-steam edition has the LEGS paragraph as well.

Janbak

• Upvote 1

I think he's using the old manual. The newer manual that comes with the steam edition has the LEGS paragraph added to it, which is not available in the pre-steam edition.

As one of the people who edited the document to add the new formatting, I know for a fact that the content is the same as it was before.

Janbak

Full names in the forum, please.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,

I don't want to upset you, but you're mistaken.

This is an excerpt from the 20feb12 sp1c version of the tutorial 2:

"

o Select Runway 08, which clears out the LOC/DME
EAST procedure. We’re doing this because we don’t
want the missed approach procedure for runway 26 to
be in the FMC in the event of a go-around. This isn’t
entirely realistic, but the Navigraph navdata does not
contain a procedure for the circle to land’s missed
approach.

o Press LSK 3L to copy RW08 and then press LSK 1L to
enter a direct to. Then enter the extended runway
centerline course, 079 into the LSK 6R DIR INTC field.
This sets up a magenta line to infinity along the
runway’s centerline on the ND that can be used for
situational awareness during the turn to final.
"

and this is from the 27feb15sp1d document:

"
 Press DEP ARR and select the LOWI ARRIVALS page.

o Select Runway 08, which clears out the LOC/DME EAST
procedure. We’re doing this because we don’t want the
missed approach procedure for runway 26 to be in the
FMC in the event of a go-around. This isn’t entirely
realistic, but the Navigraph navdata does not contain a
procedure for the circle to land’s missed approach.

o Press the LEGS button to return to the LEGS page,
where we'll set up a direct to intercept course for the
extended centerline.

o Press LSK 3L to copy RW08 and then press LSK 1L to
enter a direct to. Then enter the extended runway
centerline course, 079 into the LSK 6R INTC CRS field.
This sets up a magenta line to infinity along the runway’s
centerline on the ND that can be used for situational
awareness during the turn to final.
"

So to me Hubert had a legitimate question. I do think you're right about that it's a study simulator and you have to try things a few times before looking elsewhere, but it felt like you were blaming Hubert.

(How do you think I found this topic?)

Jan Bakhuijsen. (sorry for my abbreviation earlier).

• Upvote 1

I don't want to upset you, but you're mistaken.

This is an excerpt from the 20feb12 sp1c version of the tutorial 2:

I fixed that omission in the newer versions of the manual - you're wrong Kyle  :P

Well darn. Must've gotten it post-edit when I used it for the P3D save files.

Either way, there's a sticky at the top of this subforum with the missing steps, isn't there?

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/366716-tutorial-2-page-118-missing-step/

Kyle Rodgers

It's a big document with tons of small details...

Small errors creep in over time I suppose. In my version I also see that the charts appended to the tutorial 1 document got mixed up with the ones from the tutorial 2 document.

Jan Bakhuijsen