Sign in to follow this  
RyanV

FSX Music, then crash

My FSX Gold Edition has been starting up, playing the first notes of music, then crashing with no error message. There is nothing in event viewer either. I have done several repairs using the CD. Specs are as follows:

Windows XP 2002 Home Edition Service Pack 3

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40Ghz

1.99 GB of RAM

I downloaded the CTD Guide Version 2. There is no APPCRASHVIEW for XP, but I was able to get a program to create a DMP file for when FSX.exe crashes. I have not been able to find a program to read DMP files. (If someone could grant me attachment posting privilges, I could post the whole file)

I have never had this problem before. What is going on?

(If someone could grant me attachment posting privilges, I could post the whole file)

I do not know what a DMP file will tell us about your crash, especially since you are using an XP OS.  Yet, if you want to post it, you open the file and copy all of the contents in the file.  Now, start a new post and click the little green icon in the menu (next to font).  That will open up Special BBC Code.  Scroll down to Spoiler and click on that.  Now paste the contents into the Spoiler box and click okay.  Your dmp file will now show up as "Spoiler" in your post.  When someone clicks on Spoiler, they will see the whole contents of the file.

You also have the ability to look at the Event Viewer as it records every event.  See Event Viewer on page 2 of the AVSIM CTD Guide.  The procedure for opening is the same as for Windows 7.

I have never had this problem before. What is going on?

Your computer system is on the very edge of not being capable of running FSX.  That is most likely the cause.  Most errors like crashing when the first notes of music are played when starting up are caused by a bad setting in your FSX.cfg. If you move your fsx.cfg to a temporary folder and restart FSX and let the config rebuild, it will probably fix this issue.  What is your sound card?  Maybe it is not properly configured in the FSX.cfg.  Are the drivers up-to-date?  What is your video card?  Is it DX9.0c compliant?  Were you ever able to start up FSX and at least get to the settings page because you can disable the startup sound in the sound settings.

Hopefully we can get this all figured out and get you flying.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have tried letting FSX rebuild my FSX.cfg file, I still encounter the same problem. I have an Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT. In the past I was able to to start up and run FSX, but not now.  

Jim  could it be  the fsx log  book seemed  to recal  it  could  cause  this  type of issue?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Yes Peter!  Good suggestion.  Remove the logbook.bin from your My Documents/Flight Simulator X Files.  You can rename it to logbook.orig too.  A new one will be built when you restart FSX.  If that's the fix, then the AVSIM Library has a file called FSX Logbook Recovery that can repair the file.  Thanks Peter!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

No worries Jim  hope  that the op  comes  back  with the solution,  since  he  hasn't  I guess he  has already solved his issue

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I'll have to try the logbook fix when I have time. I`ll let you all know.

Hi all sorry for the long wait. I tried the logbook fix by re-naming the file to logbook.orig, but still no luck. Still crashes after the first note of music :(