Sign in to follow this  
drdickie

Seeking simple answer: Does Nvidia Inspector work with P3D?

I have read conflicting reports here, on the Prepar3D forums, and elsewhere.  For example:  www.codelegend.com/graphics/nvidiainspectorsettingsp3d2dx11.jpg

Does anyone know the answer...does Nvidia Inspector work with P3D V2.5?  Maybe there is no "simple answer."

Thanks.

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

does Nvidia Inspector work with P3D V2.5?

Of course it does. What are your requirements?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks, SteveW.  What do you make of this from Prepar3D forum?

"Why aren’t NVIDIA driver overrides aren’t working?
Rest assured that we aren’t disabling these on purpose. We want all our users to have the broadest set up tweaks and tools at their disposal to get the most out of Prepar3D v2. We’ve been working with NVIDIA to try to track this down. Some of the overrides may not actually work with any D3D11 application. Thus far, NVIDIA has not given us any feedback to indicate that we need to do anything more on our end to enable these overrides. We will keep working with them to resolve the issue. For now, most driver overrides won’t work.

Edit: Some nvidia settings do appear to be working."

Or, doesn't this statement apply to NI?

The NVidia control panel enables us to make most settings we might generally need. NVidia Inspector simply increases that control substantially. You need not ask "does it work with", but rather "what can I do with those extra functions". Only a small subset of those settings will have any effect on P3D. Generally NI is only required for P3D if setting Sparse Grid Transparency SSAA.

I may be mistaken but I believe that the term "override" is critical and causes additional confusion. With certain settings you can "enhance" the application but the "override" functions do not work properly.

I use NVI to set up SLI and SGSS with no issues.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Much confusion arises with the AA section. With P3D DX11 (and FSX DX10), only the Transparency settings make any difference and can be enhanced, but not overridden. DX10 and DX11 make up the scene from more complex images than DX9 and the AA can only be enhanced with the Transparency AA.

Of course it does. What are your requirements?

Not sure what is meant by requirements here.  Thanks.

With P3D DX11 (and FSX DX10), only the Transparency settings make any difference and can be enhanced, but not overridden. DX10 and DX11 make up the scene from more complex images than DX9 and the AA can only be enhanced with the Transparency AA.

Steve,

You seem to use slightly different wording than the program does.

This is what I see and what I changed in NI (the two black lines):

NI_AA.JPG

Only the 'Antialasing-Mode' can be enhanced,

Transparency MS can only be disabled or enabled. Should I enable it?

Not sure what is meant by requirements here. Thanks.

I thought it's pretty clear that i'm saying NI works with P3D, and it depends on what you want to do, since some things won't work, or don't work as expected.

Steve,

You seem to use slightly different wording than the program does.

This is what I see and what I changed in NI (the two black lines):

NI_AA.JPG

Only the 'Antialasing-Mode' can be enhanced,

Transparency MS can only be disabled or enabled. Should I enable it?

Hi Eric, you only need change the "Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling" setting to the same multiple as you have MSAA set in P3D, leaving others at default.

Only the 'Antialasing-Mode' can be enhanced

You are stating what settings are available to select in the 'Antialasing-Mode' setting. Whereas I said, "only the Transparency settings make any difference and can be enhanced, but not overridden".

...In this case setting "Antialiasing - Mode" to "Application-controlled" or "Enhance the application setting" do the same thing.

..why not have a look at the link the OP referred to:

more about using CP, and NI, for DX9, DX10, and DX11 here

which tries to break down the main sections we're interested in.

Much confusion arises with the AA section. With P3D DX11 (and FSX DX10), only the Transparency settings make any difference and can be enhanced, but not overridden. DX10 and DX11 make up the scene from more complex images than DX9 and the AA can only be enhanced with the Transparency AA.

Steve,

You hit the nail on the head with the "Much confusion arises with the AA section" statement.

Just to be sure I'm following what you're saying in this thread:

• In NI's Antialiasing section the Antialiasing - Setting is set to the default (Application-controled / OFF)
  • In NI's Antialiasing section the Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling is set to match my MSAA setting in P3D (8x)
  • All other settings in the prepar3d.exe Inspector profile are set to their default values?

Is it safe to assume that the only "tweaking" required for AA in P3D as it relates to Inspector is upping the Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling to 8x SGSSAA (provided your system can handle it)?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes. :smile:

you only need change the "Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling" setting to the same multiple as you have MSAA set in P3D, leaving others at default.

Thanks Steve. I got confused about the NI setting of Multsampling Transparancy being 'disabled' by default, to me it suggested that this driver setting would not allow P3D to use MSAA from the program. Hence my question about enabling it. Apparantly it's two different things. :)

You're welcome Eric.

This subject is very confusing, best to try experimenting changing just one setting at a time. In the link I describe the main differences, which should help untangle the subject a little, and help with experimentation. The settings shown work generally across NVidia systems, but the best thing to do is try things on the system in hand.

Yes. :smile:

Thanks for the confirmation Steve. Gonna try playing around with NI again.

M