Sign in to follow this  
markturner

windows explorer suddenly very slow

Hi, I have a strange issue with my new PC, that I am hoping some of our more tech savvy members might be able to advise on. My PC is brand new, and just has P3d and associated programs on it. It's also pretty powerful, I have been transferring over files of photoscenery and mesh from my old PC. I might add I am running the tech preview of win10, and its been performing brilliantly so far. However, today, it suddenly started freezing windows in explorer, I copy a folder over and for the next 5 minutes after the files are copied, my CPU is at 30 -40% and the windows will freeze .

you can force explorer to restart and stop this, and I have run full malware scan, and system diagnosis, and found nothing. Previously everything was supersnappy and fast, now not.  Where should I be looking, what would cause this? I looked in task manager, and it just lists windows explorer as the main resource hog. 

Any ideas, thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I had a similar problem with File Explorer in Windows 8.1 when I just got my computer. It happened when I installed 7-zip. I'm not sure why, but it had something to do with it's integration with File Explorer. 

Do you have 7-zip installed by any chance?

You need to report it to MS - that's the whole point of tech previews.  There is generally a forum associated with the release.

DJ

System restore to a point where the PC was working OK?

You've posted in the Hardware forum, so if you think it may be a hardware / driver issue then your best starting point would be to strip out all unnecessary hardware & drivers to see if this resolves the issue, if it does then reinstalling the hardware a piece at a time then testing should allow you identify the problem.

However ubersu is right, running a pre-release version of Windows is risky and if you've run into problems you should be making these known to Microsoft in case they are legitimate issues that need to be addressed in the operating system.