Sign in to follow this  
flyforever

Need Help on simple engine starting procedure

Despite the video and the manual, I still cannot get the engines to start.  I understand the throttle lock and how to unlock, yet the engine spools up and then dies.

The only way for me to get to fly is to start another plane, use Control E, and then load the MU-2.

I would appreciate a manual start up procedure for dummies. Apparently, I am still missing something in the procedure.

tony

hey flyover. If you have checked that the props are on the locks.

Since it is spooling for you, sounds like the switches and levers are correct.

The other procedure is to ensure you hold the start button down till you see an increase on the EGT, then releae the starter button. Start is automatic from that point. In order to ensure everything correct for start, it' s easiest to hit Shift1 "All systems Off " before starting. then follow the checklist.

Here's a quick checklist:

1 Batt key....ON

2 Inverter switch Main/Stby.....ON

3. Fuel Valves.....OPEN

4 Fuel Quanity checked

5. Power Levers....Ground Idle

6. Condition Levers.....TAXI

7. Run Crank Stop(RCS) switches......RUN

8.SRL Switches.......ON

9.Auto Ignition switches....OFF

10. Parking Brake....SET

This is the prelim setup for all starts.

Starting:

1.Start Select Switch(bottom of pedestal) .....SELECT ENGINE TO START. R or L

2.Starter Button.......PRESS AND HOLD till EGT Rise Noted, THEN RELEASE STARTER BUTTON

You should see lightoff approx 10%

Try that,should get ya started flyover.

Have Fun

David

Tony, make sure the props are in their start locks (shift-2 will pop up a window letting you know, or you can just look outside). Condition levers need to be in the start/taxi position. The switches just in front of the start buttons need to be flipped forward into the run position. Ignition switch needs to be flipped to the left or right depending on the engibe you are startjng. Also make sure you press the corresponding black unfeather button before starting.

When I was having this issue, it was the start locks. Recheck them after you switch the master battery on.

Cheers,

Todd

Looks like David beat me to it!

Are the start locks supposed to be "locked" or "unlocked" before starting. The instruction call for "locked" start locks. I am still not having any luck with it.

I've got over 20 years of aircraft experience, and this, frankly, embarasses me.

tony

Ok, I think I got it. The start locks need to be in the "locked" position. I had it backwards. thanks for the help. tony

To clarify the logic from an aviation perspective, the `locked` position represents a blade angle that would cause the aircraft to crash, were it in the air.

In the air we want a non-functional blade to be edge-on to the airflow - feathered. But for starting, the geared turbine would register too much aerodynamic drag from a feathered prop so for this situation alone we want the `edge` angled along the wing axis. As this is a very minor inconvenience, used only for getting the props spinning during light-off, that's why they need to be locked.