Sign in to follow this  
BrettT

Overclocking temp question

Hi,

I recently did a new build of a 4790K with an ASUS Z97-AR board and tried the automated tuner function which basically runs a stress test while monitoring temperature.  It incrementally raises the multiplier until it reaches a temp that is too high then dials it back one.  While running this test it found that 4.8 GHz was too high and dialed it back to 4.7GHz.  This appeared to be creating temps in the low 80 degC range while under stress test.

Should I trust this program to do this tuning and assume 80 deg is acceptable (there seems to be some debate on line about this).  I know ASUS has a pretty good reputation as a MB manufacturer.  Just a little concerned about the temp.  I am not looking to max the thing out but would like to get the best performance I can without a significant risk with the equipment I have.  I have an EVO 212 air cooler installed.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Put water on it as a matter of fact I have a brand new corasir hi-80 for sale unused in classifieds problem solved - no brainer - my cpu barley goes above 50 degrees at 4.6ghz on my Maximus formula - dirt money get a real cooler

I also have an Asus z97, maximus vii specifically, and found that the Asus bios tools are very good and reliable. The only part I manually tweak is the cpu voltage. The automatic values on these boards are much too high. I was able to squeeze 4.8 ghz on my 4790k using only 1.22v, the automatic tuner had the voltage at 1.32v. This caused temp during testing to enter the 90's. With 1.22v, my temps max out at 84-86c. Andi know there is debate on this, but my 2¢ is to cool that cpu with liquid. My Nepton 120 struggles, I wish I had gone with the 240 version, as it is a better match for over clocking this already hot cpu.

I also have an Asus z97, maximus vii specifically, and found that the Asus bios tools are very good and reliable. The only part I manually tweak is the cpu voltage. The automatic values on these boards are much too high. I was able to squeeze 4.8 ghz on my 4790k using only 1.22v, the automatic tuner had the voltage at 1.32v. This caused temp during testing to enter the 90's. With 1.22v, my temps max out at 84-86c. Andi know there is debate on this, but my 2¢ is to cool that cpu with liquid. My Nepton 120 struggles, I wish I had gone with the 240 version, as it is a better match for over clocking this already hot cpu.

1+ 1+

Thanks Guys, Ill have to check what kind of voltage it was trying to throw at it. 

Thanks Guys, Ill have to check what kind of voltage it was trying to throw at it. 

Voltage will not cure high heat

True, but it is something to be mindful of.  I will most likely stick with the 212 EVO for now and see what I feel comfortable with in regards to an OC.  I was mainly concerned about the reliability of the ASUS tools and if upper 70's low 80's was a valid concern or something that was considered acceptable.  I do agree water would be a better solution overall but at this time I am looking to see what I can get with what I have

True, but it is something to be mindful of.  I will most likely stick with the 212 EVO for now and see what I feel comfortable with in regards to an OC.  I was mainly concerned about the reliability of the ASUS tools and if upper 70's low 80's was a valid concern or something that was considered acceptable.  I do agree water would be a better solution overall.

Some will say its not an issues at those temps and it shouldnt be - I just dont feel comfortable with them hence a water cooler on my Titan X also