Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

10.40b5 now available

How much RAM and VRAM do you have? Your description sounds like your Computer runs out of RAM or VRAN, starts to swap and the collapses. But it is only a possible cause.

Hi. My system has a GTX 970 (4gb) and 8Gb Ram with an i7 4790.

I had no problems with the previous W2XPL so I'm not even sure if the Beta is the problem here. While loading it only uses +- 4Gb of RAM.

Only slightly OT here but relevant to the fps discussion...

In addition to VRAM and RAM and Rendering settings and OS is the question of screen resolution.  I'm seeing a lot of comparisons with incomplete information.  If you're using two or more monitors, your VRAM may be too low and if you're using a higher resolution monitor, it takes more VRAM to drive the image.  Also, many custom scenery packages can cause slow loading and in some cases really tank your framerates as XP tries to resolve inconsistent scenery levels.  Most of the scenery hangups can be found in the log.txt file which I check after each new custom scenery installation.  I am continually amazed at the number of very well created airports which have errors that are easily caught in WED and that have not been fixed before uploading the files.

I'm eager to try the new b5 which seems to be very effective on Windows machines and nVidia cards, but I'm off line until my replacement monitor arrives for the high performance simming desktop.  I won't be back in the air until later this week.

I find it interesting that so many have locked framerates in the Rendering window.  I have always left mine unlocked as I never found any advantage to locking them, and being able to see the actual framerates also gives me a better idea of what other settings need to be adjusted.