Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

PMDG DC-6 Preview

Lookin' good. I just hope this model has a reduced-workload option of some kind, maybe with more relaxed failure modes for engine controls? The real thing was never designed to be operated by one person, after all.

There should be all the complexity needed for those who want to dive into it, but they'll sell more of this model to existing X-Plane market if it's flyable at some reduced realism level, as an option. 

PMDG reducing realism?  

That's like asking Arnold Schwarzenneger to reduce muscle size.

:P

I haven't owned or used a PMDG aircraft, since FLY. That's a long time ago. As far as realism goes, i suppose they can just keep engine temps, prop RPMs, and a few other things in check...........as though there's a flight engineer along. I think the A2A B-17 has something along those lines. I own that one, but never get around to downloading and installing it.

As far as realism goes, i suppose they can just keep engine temps, prop RPMs, and a few other things in check...........as though there's a flight engineer along. I think the A2A B-17 has something along those lines. I own that one, but never get around to downloading and installing it.

The closest thing I own and have flown in X-Plane is the LES DC-3 and Hydroz PBY Catalina. They both have engine failure modes managed by custom plugins. If you don't keep RPM and manifold pressure within parameters, it's easy to blow an engine. But it's pretty basic -- not much extra workload while piloting -- and there are only two engines to manage.

If the PMDG DC-6 goes deep enough into all the things the flight engineer was doing to set the engines and props, while the pilot was busy flying the plane on takeoff and landing, there will have to be some way to manage it. 

I'm not saying they shouldn't be modeling all that stuff, I'm just curious how they'll handle it for a single pilot, so we don't have to pause the sim every 30 seconds to adjust a dozen engine, fuel, and prop controls.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Maybe they go the 'virtual flight engineer' route. The Concorde for FSX featured such a thing and it came in very handy when being new to the plane. The A2A 'Captain of the Ship' also runs such logics, so there's a lets say precedence available. B)

Oops, I saw at least one item already being listed by LAdamson. Right he is.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be modeling all that stuff, I'm just curious how they'll handle it for a single pilot, so we don't have to pause the sim every 30 seconds to adjust a dozen engine, fuel, and prop controls.

Just wanted to chime in.

We are already established on the X-Plane platform as a provider of virtual crew (Co-pilot and flight engineer when required).

And we intend to add the DC-6 to the list of ever increasing supported aircraft.

We already support FF 777, FF 757, JAR A320, JAR A330, Peter Hager A320, FJS 732, FJS Q400, FJS 727 (with FE), SSG 170 &190, with support for SSG 747-i8 to be added next month.

There is a Demo of the concept which you can find here. It will run for 3 days or 30 runs whichever expires first.

http://www.multicrewxp.com/Downloads.html